1.5" Lift Experience-Highlander Struts

1) ordered the tema4x4 spacers for the front - Not happy.  Do not want that much flex between the unibody tower and top strut plate

2) stumbled on Northwoods Performance - FAR superior in Every way.  

3) installed the Highlander rear struts - was expecting 1.25" lift - gave me more like 2.5"  lift.  WHAT GIVES?  Anybody else experience that?

07 RX

• Like 1

UPDATE:  Problem Found.  Do NOT use the Loaded Strut Assembly JUST the strut and transfer over your coils using the highlander top plate.  PITA but cheaper anyway.  The coils from the HIghlander are taller and provide over 2" lift.  Probably about 2.5".

The downside of course is that by using the RX coils on the Highlander strut you lose about an inch of up travel.  However, the highlander internal bump stops are about an inch shorter so who knows.    

Furthermore noteworthy, is that the Highlander bolts at the knuckle appear to be about 17 mm vs the RX of 15 mm.  At nearly 200 lb of torque on those bolts, it's probably not an issue but if it is I'm just going to order up the Highlander bolts and bore the knuckle.
The coils transfer onto the HIghlander struts fine using the Highlander top plate as it is different.    The net lift is a hair over 1" so a 1/2" spacer for the rear might be a nice offering as the Highlander strut does allow for larger tires of course.
Bottom Line:  works good but do not use the LOADED Strut assembly....just the strut. 
  • Like 1

Realize i am monologuing here but just trying to be helpful.  If one is seeking  2-2.5" all spring lift, I think this is the way to go.  Just purchase the entire preloaded strut (about $150 each kyb SR4446 and 4447} and away you go.  You just need to determine best route for front.  I didn't want that much lift but its there for the rear pretty simply.  I am sure you will need camber bolts for rear.  I disconnected sway bar in rear with no adverse effects.  BTW, Northwoods Performance (Nathan) sells the correct length links for the front.  Works perfect.  

Alignment tomorrow, will report back but I think camber is ok in rear.  Northwood spacers in front have camber adjustment engineered in.     

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:  Went for alignment, Northwoods spacers align front perfectly aside from Toe of course.  The rear did not require adjustment as it was still in spec with the Highlander struts.  Installed 245/60 18 Goodyear Trail AT's.  Looks great but fronts rub slightly on full lock and rears on full droop touch the inside lower flap bolt.  Ordered 15MM front and 20MM rear spacers which should solve both issues.  Disconnected rear sway seems to make little to no difference.   

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE:  Installed said spacers, no rub on full lock on front and no rub rear under full droop.  Bad news?  Found oil leak coming from what appears to be an area behind the PS pump.  Not good.  Praying to the God of Banjo Bolts that its a bad washer at the rear VVT oil line but I am not hopeful my prayers are being heard.  Probably timing cover given my luck (if it wasnt for bad luck, I wouldnt have no luck at all........ )

• 1 month later...
On 16.09.2021 at 08:18, RX3FIFTY said:

ОБНОВЛЕНИЕ: Установлены указанные проставки, нет трения на полной блокировке спереди и нет трения сзади при полном провисании. Плохие новости? Обнаружена утечка масла, которая, по всей видимости, находится за насосом PS. Нехорошо. Молю Бога банджо-болтов, что это плохая шайба на задней масляной линии VVT, но я не надеюсь, что мои молитвы услышаны. Возможно, мне повезло, если бы мне повезло (если бы не неудача, мне бы вообще не повезло ........)

hello, i am from kazakhstan writing through a translator. How are you doing? what about the oil leak? Have you decided on a breakdown with an oil leak?

Because of the translation, I cannot understand which parts of the shock absorber strut from the Highlander can be used on the px? can I have a photo? and a photo of the installed front and rear struts ?? please

• 1 year later...

Hi @RX3FIFTY.  I have a 2007 RX350 and will be following your recommendation of installing highlander rear struts and top mount to get more clearance for tires.  I bought a set of 17x8 +38 offset wheels and 20mm spacers, and plan to go 245/65 r17 or 255/65 r17 tires.  I was wondering how your setup is holding up and also if you have any photos of your RX.  I would like to see how it looks with just the rear lifted.  Thanks!

• 4 months later...
On 8/5/2021 at 8:29 AM, RX3FIFTY said:

Realize i am monologuing here but just trying to be helpful.  If one is seeking  2-2.5" all spring lift, I think this is the way to go.  Just purchase the entire preloaded strut (about $150 each kyb SR4446 and 4447} and away you go.  You just need to determine best route for front.  I didn't want that much lift but its there for the rear pretty simply.  I am sure you will need camber bolts for rear.  I disconnected sway bar in rear with no adverse effects.  BTW, Northwoods Performance (Nathan) sells the correct length links for the front.  Works perfect.  

Alignment tomorrow, will report back but I think camber is ok in rear.  Northwood spacers in front have camber adjustment engineered in.     

Looking for the best lift option for me rn…curious why u don’t use the highlander struts for the front? Also did you lose or gain any articulation and travel with the highlander struts? I am looking at going all out and getting some  Flatout suspension struts that are made for the highlander because I think?? They should fit?? Not sure just trying to do some research… here’s my setup rn 

20D6866F-3A58-432E-A73D-007ABC03EF82.jpeg

47B6040A-5701-48CA-9F69-87BAD7FEFC21.jpeg

EB7412F4-1516-4423-8C28-E05593DF447B.jpeg