Windshield Chips Too Easily

2lexii

I HAVE AN 'O4 LX470 AND AN '03 LX470 AND HAVE THREE CHIPS IN THE WINDSHIELDS WITHIN THE LAST FOUR MONTHS!! I THINK THAT THERE IS SOME KIND OF DEFECT WITH THESE WINDSHIELDS. I HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED THIS ON ANY OTHER VEHICLES IN MANY YEARS OF DRIVING. ANYONE ELSE HAVING THESE PROBLEMS AND HAS YOUR DEALER DONE SOMETHING ABOUT IT? THANKS.

Funny you should say that. No more than 3 days after I purchased my CPO LX 470 I noticed a small windshield chip/crack. Took it back to the dealership and they replaced the windshield, no questions asked. Although I am used to a high level of dealer service, I was surprised at the ease in which my request was handled. I wonder if there might be a "secret" warrantee on windshields - this might be a known problem.

Funny you should say that. No more than 3 days after I purchased my CPO LX 470 I noticed a small windshield chip/crack. Took it back to the dealership and they replaced the windshield, no questions asked. Although I am used to a high level of dealer service, I was surprised at the ease in which my request was handled. I wonder if there might be a "secret" warrantee on windshields - this might be a known problem.

Interesing post....We just purchased a used 2001 LX470, after owning two other GS300's over the past few years. Had the LX for one week, and when we got in the car , the windshield 'popped', and a two foot crack appeared form the bottom of the windshioeld and across the passenger side. No road damage, seemed to me to be a stress fracture from the lower mounting point.

The car was under the pre-owned warranty, but the Lexus dealership said it would not be covered. Very Diaapaointing. Wish we had another dealership option in the area, but I'm back to BMW's for any future pruchases.

I would call the Lexus Consumer office if I were you - I would not let this go. I have seen posts regarding this problem in other Lexus forums. I am sure that Lexus knows this is an issue - do not stop at the dealership level. I have owned Lexus automobiles for over 13 years (2 LS400's, an RX300 & an LX470). I have gotten the complete stereo on my RX replaced for free when the car was out of warranty. I have gotten the driver side power seat replaced on my first LS when the car was out of warranty. And, I had the windshield replaced for free on my current LX. Make the call :)

My Land Rover's windshield has 3 rock chips and we were quoted about $800 to replace the entire thing at the dealer. Right after we traded it in and bought the LX 470 I purchased a rock/bug deflector for it and no problems. I figure I'll invest about $120 instead of shelling out over $500 for a windshield replacement. The parts guys at the Lexus dealer should be able to order one for you. Installation is pretty easy.

Also, avoid those windshield repair guys at the car wash. They claim that the repair is free and they will charge your car's insurance company for it, so there's no out of pocket expense. These guys do a shoddy job and your insurance company will vote against it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've have a small rock chip in my LX 450 -- not spreading (yet, knock on wood). Remember that the windshield on the LX is fairly vertical -- more so than on our Honda at least. As a result, I think they're more suceptable to rock damage. I don't think there's anything wrong with the manufacture of the glass or installation of the windshield from the factory. Stuff happens...rocks fly and hit glass. Not much you can do sometimes.

I've had the windshield of my Land Cruiser (which I owned before the LX) replaced twice due to rock chips. Insurance covered it -- I paid the $100 deductible. Had no problems. I did insist on both factory (toyota) windshield and windshield gasket though. Also know that Toyota/Lexus recommends a different sealant than is normally used. If anyone really needs to know, I can scan my factory service manual and post the specifics -- although a good glass shop would know this. One other thing -- although they are the same shape/fit -- the windshield for a '96-'97 Land Cruiser is not identical to the same year LX 450. The tint color is different -- the LC has blue tint, the LX has bronze tint.

hey 2lexii, you live in nj, so do i,do you not remember the winter we had? all of the potholes we had?, well, all of these holes leave stones loose in the road ways. the position of the glass on the lx is pretty verticle...not to mention huge. it's a very large target for stones. i happen to see alot of stone chips every day due to my position of employment. it's not just you and its not just your lx's,its our terrible road departments in nj.

Hi !

i was very interested in your post, you mentioned that you bought a rock/bug deflector. I was all over the internet looking for it and nobody sells them for LX470. They have plenty for Land Cruiser but the hood shape is slightly different. Do you mind sharing where you got yours ?

Sincerely,

dowtrade

I was mistaken about the LC and LX hoods being the same. I took a look at a LX the other day on the road and saw that they are different.

Is the grill on the LX 470 attached to the hood?