2006 gs300 won't turn over.

I stopped at a store then came out and the car wouldn't start. After checking a few fuses it started and I drove home. Now I'm home and it won't start again.

The battery is fully charged and on the smart charger to keep it topped up. The green light on the starter button comes on when I press the brake. When I press the button I hear the fuel pump running. I took out the relay and it was working fine on 12v. 

I decided to try to short the starter relay plug with a patch cable I put together. Nothing happens when I short it out even with the button pressed. 

I would assume this means the solenoid is bad if the starter is getting power. Would there be anything else to check to confirm my diagnosis or anything I did wrong?

Another possibility is a loose battery cable connection, either at the battery terminals or at the ground cable to chassis connection. Are there any warning lights? 

• Like 1

All the connections on the 12v system seemed fine. No warning lights. 

I started removing the old starter and spent 5+ hrs trying to remove the top bolt on the starter. I gave up for the night and will try again in the morning.

• Like 1

Gone are the days when you could give the side of starter body a few whacks with an adjustable wrench and get 'err going again for a few weeks. 

Heck gone are the days you could even get an adjustable in the cavity and have enough room to give 'err a few whacks. 

A long time ago I changed a starter on a 66 mustang with the inline 6 without even laying on the ground except to tighten it back to the block. 

Anyway, best regards and I hope you get it solved today. The swivel socket is your friend. 

Last time I hit a starter with any effect was when I was in HS. My buddy had a truck we had to convince to start to go to lunch. 

I got the swivel socket and enough extensions to get the socket arm below the car at a reasonable angle. Also my strength seems to be diminished with the positions I'm forced to work at. I'm at the point where I'm ready to put some heat to the bolt. I got some fire proof mat I can cram in there to protect the wires and other nearby parts.

I'm taking a break for a bit as my upper body feels like I slept in the trunk of the car. 

Thanks

• Haha 1