RX350 - is it crazy to buy used 100+ Lexus?

Hey Folks - My wife and I love our "new" 2018 ES350, which replaced our beloved 2011 ES350. (Traded up last month while the older car still looked great and had no problems.) Now, as our old 2003 Ford Explorer continues to show its age in expensive ways, we're moving towards ditching that in favor of something newer and more luxurious but that can still haul a substantial amount of stuff.  Friends have raved about the RX350, and we like the look of it.  There are a number of used examples in our area.  Here is my main question - should I rule out anything with more than 100k on it, or is that not such a terrible number with these cars?  Note that I do understand that the actual mileage # is not as important in itself as real wear & tear, service history, abuse, etc.  I'm talking about a car that will be driven about 5k miles a year at most, and does not need to be as fancy as our main car, and needs a decent cargo area (though we probably don't need as much as we had with the Explorer.) We have bought our last three cars at CarShop, which is near us and has as assortment of used RX350s, including a few with around 100k, or 110k, and that are 2012 - 2014 models or thereabouts. At present, I'm attracted to the idea of spending less than $18k or $20k on something that would be a heck of a step up from an '03 Explorer. I'd welcome any thoughts, particularly on the age/mileage concern.  Thank you! 

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my 2010 RX350 with 135,000 miles on it. I’ve had it four years and the most expensive single repair I had to do was a front wheel bearing that went bad at around 150,000 miles. I’m at 166,000 now and I’ve spent maybe $2000 in minor repairs in 4 years and most of that was just the cost of parts. These things are tanks, they are tow capable (Uhaul can install hitch receivers on the older ones, the dealership can do it for newer ones) with 3500 lbs of towing capacity with 1000 lbs of payload capacity. Mine came with a differential locker as well so if you’re the outdoorsy type it’s got a lot of bang for your buck. One thing to note however is that in the stock configuration I wouldn’t take it beyond maintained national park roads due to the lack of metal skid plates, but I’m finding out that that may be more easily remedied than I originally thought. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply, Flukesofhazard, much appreciated, and it is good to hear your endorsement of the 2010 RX350, which is exactly what we ended up with.  Our local used car dealer (CarShop - formerly Carsense), had several used ones, but a 2010 with just 75,000 miles on it stood out to me.  It had all the signs of light use and good care, looked and felt great. A week later, we are very happy with it.  Thanks again. 

I have seen the older Explorers with 300k, (96-01 V8) but they are known for transmission failures long before the engine goes. As for the Lexus RX, I have owned several of the RX 300, and seen those with nearly 400k and still running ok. It really depends on the maintenance, a lot of that now a days is listed in a CarFax Report, if done at a reputable shop. The only problems I see with newer RX350's is not so much the engine or trans, but electrical gremlins. Good luck with your new Lexus!

You may not want to rule out the RX450h, as it averages an excellent 29 MPG. And with gas prices super high and climbing, you can more than make up for it by getting an SUV that is superior to any other as far as efficiency and luxury. 

RX's will usually go over 300K with normal maintenance and some attention paid to the suspension.  I plan to keep rolling mine until they pry it out of my hands.

I don't think you get into the sweet spot on pricing until they hit about 125K.  There is a psychological threshold there somewhere.  For both buyers and sellers.

And I agree on the Hybrids :)