Aftermarket Speakers And Amp

hi,

i have a 98 GS300 and

i am about to upgrade all door speakers and probably put a kicker in the back w/ 12's (i guess).... i wanted to know if i can add a "sound System" to my car without changing the stock radio front and just upgrade the amp???

BOTTOM LINE...i want to add a system (i'm a girl so really need help) and need to know what i need to do,get or buy??

i know i dont want to have to modify the main radio look...but i need something that is going to kick out that nice hip-hop sound!!

OPEN TO ALL SUGGESTIONS!!!

THANKS ...AGAIN!! :cries:

Yes, they can upgrade your stereo without changing the factory headunit.. All they have to do is tap into the existing amp or swap out the factory amp for whatever you desire..

For what you'll need, the component speakers (mids and highs) and an amp to run them, I have a JL 450/4 with JL Components (4 6.5" speakers and 4 tweeters).. Then you'll need your subs, (I have now 2 JL 12" W7's with a JL 1000/1 amp) and a amp to power those.. Then all you have left is the wiring and fuses.. I hope this helps.. If you need anything else just let me know.. Also, if you want I can get whatever you want and I'll make sure you get the best prices possible..

hi,

i have a 98 GS300 and

i am about to upgrade all door speakers and probably put a kicker in the back w/ 12's (i guess).... i wanted to know if i can add a "sound System" to my car without changing the stock radio front and just upgrade the amp???

BOTTOM LINE...i want to add a system (i'm a girl so really need help) and need to know what i need to do,get or buy??

i know i dont want to have to modify the main radio look...but i need something that is going to kick out that nice hip-hop sound!!

hey what's up, mrsypher is correct, just get the components and tap in to existing wires. i would disconnect the factory harness from the factory amp and re-route those to your new amp. except only thing is that you need a remote wire to supply the third wire on the amp...

12 volt

ground

remote

these are what power the amp. oh yeah, then you need to grab a sound siginal (rca pre-outs) and connect them to your amp so then it will send it out to the speakers. well if you know someone that knows wiring it should be a snap. i never wrote any specific instructions to how to install or upgrade the stereo but i'll tell you one thing, when i'm in there, it's like second nature... i can do this upgrade without a problem... but that's me... well good luck on your hunt for upgrading

hi,

i have a 98 GS300 and

a friend of mines wanted me to set up my system like that. he knows exactly what you need to do i can find out for sure some more info for you if you like. i have a 98 gs300 i changed my factory radio and amped the factory speakers then added three jl audio 10's and an eclipse eq. i put a alpine v12 on the factory speakers and and orion 275 on the tens and it sounds lovely.

I have a 94 GS300 and I added aftermarket sub,amp,cd player.....I tried many times to tap into the wires so I could utilize my existing door speakers with my aftermarket amp,sub and cd player.

What can I do? I've tried every wire I saw in that Lexus connector plug, but still nothing. Am I just going to have to rewire all the door speakers to the cd player?

Thanks.

I have a 94 GS300 and I added aftermarket sub,amp,cd player.....I tried many times to tap into the wires so I could utilize my existing door speakers with my aftermarket amp,sub and cd player.

What can I do? I've tried every wire I saw in that Lexus connector plug, but still nothing. Am I just going to have to rewire all the door speakers to the cd player?

Thanks.

well first of all, what head unit are you using? the cd changer goes directly to the head unit... done deal. now for the speakers, sub and amp... to be honest, you can hook them all up, but won't get the best out of them because the watts will be distributed evenly among what's connected. depending on how many channels you have on that amp, will determine what sound you will have... i would hook up all my speakers to my head unit and dedicate the amp to the sub. trust me, this is a better deal. but if you want to amplify the door speakers as well, then get another amp and dedicate that to the door speakers. now how are all your connections on powering the cd changer and amp? I just read your post again... do you know anything about wiring and audio installation? or are you going in soldier boy status and trying to figure out what's what? well let me know... and stop tapping into all those wires... pretty soon, the impedence levels in the copper wires won't register and your system won't be at it's peak performance.

You just confused the hell out of me :wacko:

I put an alpine cd player in in place of the lexus factory(pioneer)....I removed the changer because it got screwed up. That is why Im using the alpine. The sub will be powered by my aftermarket amp. I just want a way to hookup the door speakers now. The doorspeakers don't have to be wired to the aftermarket amp. I just want to know how to do it because I have to bypass the factory amp or is there a way to use the factory amp for the door speakers? I could use my aftermarket amp as well because it has 4 channels.

As soon as I disconnect the Lexus factory unit from the big wire, which has doorspeaker wires and amp wires in it, I can't use the door speakers which makes sense. I tried to tap into those and I tried all of them, but for some reason none of the door speakers output sound.

Another question, my amp requires you to plug in the remote wire. Could the remote wire be plugged into the Lexus factory(pioneer) unit? If so, how?

And yes, you are right about my not knowing how to do this.

Alittle less confusing this time please :)

I put an alpine cd player in in place of the lexus factory(pioneer)....I removed the changer because it got screwed up. That is why Im using the alpine. The sub will be powered by my aftermarket amp. I just want a way to hookup the door speakers now. The doorspeakers don't have to be wired to the aftermarket amp. I just want to know how to do it because I have to bypass the factory amp or is there a way to use the factory amp for the door speakers? I could use my aftermarket amp as well because it has 4 channels.

As soon as I disconnect the Lexus factory unit from the big wire, which has doorspeaker wires and amp wires in it, I can't use the door speakers which makes sense. I tried to tap into those and I tried all of them, but for some reason none of the door speakers output sound.

Another question, my amp requires you to plug in the remote wire. Could the remote wire be plugged into the Lexus factory(pioneer) unit? If so, how?

hey what's up, how about this... i'll check my setup up again and let you know what's up with the wiring. it's been a while since i've looked at it but i'll tell you exactly how i did it. i'll get back to this post in a bit. it's 0630 :D

i read you post again and here's the scoop... all the speaker including the sub is connected through the factory amp. without the factory amp, you will not have any input from radio stations or cd player. so if you tried to put some input to your door speakers, it won't work. this is what i have done... i checked out my setup... on your wiring harness, there should be three mint colored wires. (we're talking gen 1 gs300) two out of three mint wires are the output wires for your sub.

mint wire with red line = positive output

mint wire with black line = negative output

cut those two wires about 6 inches from the wiring harness and put them to the side. i powered my aftermarket amp by taking the the 12volt wire (yellow)accesory wire (red), and ground (black) from my pioneer cd changer.

12volt (yellow) = 12 volt connection for amp

accesory wire (red) = remote for amp

ground (black) = ground for amp

now if you throw all that together and you'll have a sub powered by the aftermarkent amp.

here's the tricky part... finding out the signal to them amp from head unit. mine is setup with rca pre-outs which won't help you because your factory stereo doesn't have them, so you can't go that rout. your only other option is to rig it. depending on how many channels you have, will determine what you need next.

example: if you have an amp with four channels, you'll need 2 "Y" rca cable connectors. (2 males into 1 female). now plug the four males into each color set of rca preouts you have on your amp. (white and red) make sure that one "Y" connector goes to the set of red and the other connector to a set of white. cut the female connect offn (about 2 to three inches) and strip the sheath. inside the sheath there should be two wires. so when you cut both "Y" connectors, you should have four wires exposed (2 per "Y" connector). now you need to go back to your harness and find either the front speakers or rear speakers... an easy way to finding these speaker without tearing apart your doors is to take a 9 volt battery, connect a wire to each pole and start sticking them into the harness a two at a time. you'll need another person sitting in the car to listen for a negative feedback. try this with the wires you had already cut for your sub... connect the positive pole with the mint+red line wire and with the negative wire still attached to the battery, tap that wire to the negative wire of the sub. DO NOT CONNECT NEGATIVES!!! so just gently tap the exposed ends and you'll hear the sub give a popping noise. that's the negative feed back you are looking for. with that test over, try that with wiring harness where your other speakers and find out which pair is what. make sure it's a set from the rear or front speakers... don't mismatch the pair. once you find them, splice into those wires and run it to your modified "Y" connectors.

red preout = right speaker

white preout = left speaker

now you have a signal going to your amp. now, since you have all these connected, you have to setup your amp. you want low boost for everything because if you don't, your sub will just be another speaker. before i forget, we want to bridge your amp to get the full X amount of watts you have. 400 watts is a safe amount. so since these instructions are for a four channel amp, this is how the bridge works.

you'll have 2 pairs of channels on one side and another 2 pairs on the other side of how ever the amp is setup. manufactures won't line up all four channels. you'll have to connect the positive wire from the sub to the positive channel on one side, and take the negative wire from the sub and hook it up to the negative channel of the other set. walla! it's now bridge... usually your amp will designate bridging terminals, so look for those first.

now power up your stereo and you should be ready to go. I know it sound like a lot, but that's the way you're going to have to do it unless you want to get an aftermarket radio. good luck on your installation.

Hey thanks alot, I appreciate it. I think I may have avoided this when I first started the project because it involved cutting the wires from the harness, but yeah I'm going to do it today thanks.