Mad crusher auto trunk door

Kate CR

Hi all, 

I have an RX 400h, year 2006.... for about 8 years now. Just got it painted  and other things repaired. 

So I go to put groceries in the back, after using the auto door opener button. It opens. I start putting them in , leaning into it. Suddenly, the door decides to come down. Right on top of me. Forcefully. I seriously thought I might get crushed. Somehow I was able to grab the bottom of the door and push it back up to escape. Scary. 

So I texted the guy at the dealership who took care of a few things a few months ago. he said the electronics for the power lift gate are behind a panel that probably has a water leak. and it should probably cost a few grand since it will have to be repainted, etc. ugh. after just spending $2500 for paint and other work to get it running. 

This is really not a good thing to have the door turn rogue and violent like that 😞 The pressure of the door could cause serious injury to someone and I have no idea how I was able to escape. It's crazy. 

When I first read this I was sipping coffee and sprayed it everywhere. Realizing just how dangerous this is your description Kate was a bit humorous. Funny as a heart attack I know,  but your words painted a great picture. It reminded me of the time I was leaning on a chest of drawers for leverage one day and it fell over and I landed on a square corner. Ouch. But afterward I just had to laugh because it was better than crying. 

Glad you are ok and we appreciate the heads up. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Mike! I appreciate your response. I'm really concerned, though... if a little kid was putting things in the back and leaning over as I did, it could have been his neck that was caught. This really bothers me. Lexus and any other brand vehicle which has an automatic power door remote button for the hatch to go up and down should have a malfunction switch of some kind in place to automatically disengage and return to manual immediately. The force and pressure was seriously strong without a doubt would have killed a child. I thought I was a goner. Never experienced anything like that. Fortunately my back has recovered. (as far as I know). 

Agreed. It seems like something that would note resistance and reverse itself either did not work or should be installed. 

Example, my Ford truck has a preventive method to avoid an injury when rolling up the electric windows. If it meets resistance it not only stops but reverses itself. 

Water damaged sensor or not a dealer could have big problems if the worst were to happen. It sounds like Lexus may have 2 issues to solve. A failing sensor and if water is why, a leak issue to resolve. 

Best regards. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the great response, Mike! Yes, it's not like it's a cheap car to begin with. If they can have sensors (which they do) to avoid injury when meeting resistance, it should work. the trunk usually, when touching an obstacle, always reversed and then stopped. there should be something in place if that should fail. Maybe I will contact Lexus.