Mystery Problem

Hi.  Consulted mechanics at 3 Lexus dealers, and no one had ever heard of this problem.  It occurred on and off for 3 weeks and then disappeared.  

2007 RX350, running fine.  Then, while driving, I shifted from D to P, and the engine just stopped. I was able to immediately restart with no problems, drove and shifted many times, then shifted from R to D after backing up, and the engine just stopped again.  Once again, I was able to immediately restart with no problem.   When the engine cut off, the check engine and VAT lights came on.

This occurred for 3 weeks--sometimes 1x/day; sometimes 5x/day; sometimes R to P; D to R, D to P, etc. .  There was never a clear pattern in terms of frequency, time of day, weather or  the gear I started in or shifted to.    

Then,  after 3 weeks of this irregular problem, it entirely disappeared: I've now been driving for a month and shifting gears with nothing unusual happening.   But, there is obviously a problem that should be attended to, but what is the problems?  Any thoughts about this would  be much appreciated.

Neil 

I believe a Lexus mechanic can plug a test instrument into the OBD port and then try to duplicate the problem. Have you left your RX there for the mechanic to try to do this?

Thanks for your response, Dave!   Since I live 80 miles from the nearest Lexus dealer, I have not done that.   I've just been contacting, via phone, mechanics at Lexus dealers who are used by friends in those cities.  Might give that a try.

Neil