2009 LS AWD Front suspension

Hello, this is my first post, if I'm doing something wrong, I'm sorry. I am the owner of a 2009 LS 460 AWD mileage 130k. For several months, when I drive a car, even at a very low speed, I can hear gentle knocks as the front wheels hit the unevenness of the road. I was with this problem with 4 different mechanics, I was also at the Lexus dealer. Nobody is able to say for sure where the problem is. They suggest front struds, but if I ask if the clatter will go away after the struds are replaced (cost at dealer $ 5,300.00) the Lexus mechanics say ... I think so. Maybe any of you have encountered a similar problem. Regards. Robert.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2010 LS L AWD - Decided to change the struts at 93k miles (rear were bad).  No problem in the rear, the aftermarket air struts are great.  Not so in the front - Ended up buying genuine Lexus struts. Installed them myself and had a noise on every bump.  Studied the struts and learned that the rubber mounting plate at the top was off 33 degrees.  There should be a line on the side of the mount to line up with hose connection - both facing toward the rear on vehicle.  When corrected, no noise at all. 

Also learned that the YouTube videos on changing the air struts have too many steps.  There is room to remove the bolt at the bottom of the strut that connects to the c shaped extension.  That and three nuts at the top, a 5' pry bar, and with 1/2 - 3/4" down force and the strut is free.  Nothing else has to be separated or removed.

Lexus manual lists front strut replacement as 9 hours @ who know$.  I did the job in my garage w/a floor jack in 4 hours for the first side and two hours on the other.