Biggest Mistake I've Made

IV'E HAD MY 92 SC400 SINCE 1995.AROUND 1998 I STARTED IT UP & IT FELT LIKE IT WAS ONLY RUNNING ON 4 CYLINDERS.IT WAS NIGHT AND FOR SOME STUPID REASON I DROVE IT ABOUT 4 MILES TO SEE IF THE PROBLEM WOULD CLEAR. AFTER PUTTING ALONG I SMELT SOMETHING & PULLED OVER TO SEE MY CATS BEHIND THE MOTOR GLOWING CHERRY RED.IT TURNED OUT THE PLUG WIRE HAD BROKEN FROM THE COIL SO THE DRIVERS SIDE OF THE MOTOR WAS GETTING NO SPARK & RAW FUEL WAS BEING DUMPED INTO THE EXHAUST WHICH MELTED THE CATS.I GUESS IT WAS IGNITING IN THERE OR SOMETHING. I HAD TO GET THE FRONT CATS REPLACED WHICH WAS VERY EXPENSIVE. SO THE MORAL OF THE STORY IS IF YOU LOSE POWER ALL OF THE SUDDEN PARK IT TILL YOU FIND :cries: OUT WHATS WRONG.

did the ignition wire break spontaneously?

has anyone else had this problem occur?

the plug wire just broke on it's own free will. i guess this happens sometimes. right? it was coming from the drivers side coil so it took out the whole drivers side. i don't know for sure if the passenger side has its own coil.

Actually, it didn't stop firing all of the drivers side of the motor. It stopped firing on two cylinders on the driver side and two cylinders on the passenger side. This is why both cats were glowing red. Raw fuel was dumping into each cat. Think about it, there has to be some balance in the firing for the engine to even run. If only one side of the engine is getting fire, the engine would be so out of balance that it would not run. Each coil fires two cylinders on one side of the engine and two cylinders on the other side of the engine.

Not a slam, just a clarification.

:cheers: