Sunglasses

Bykfixer

Being a fan of Bausch & Lombe Ray Ban's, American Optical and Maui Jim I just discovered Caribbean Sun shades at my local Wal Mart eye care center. For the money they seem pretty solid. 

I like Foster Grant shades too. Their wayfarer style iare a favorite. And those Terminator/Dale Earnhardt Gargoyles are an old favorite. 

Collecting them from the 1960's and 70's for a while was fun but then word got out and prices sky rocketed. So I turned to 80's Maui Jim and Hobie breifly. 

Anybody else have an assortment of shades or an old favorite? 

While I used to wear contact lenses, I don't anymore due to inability of my eyes to self-focus. So my eye protection from bright light is now through transition lenses and prescription sunglasses which are darker.

Many years ago when I was wearing sunglasses with my contact lenses, a friend and I were riding our motorcycles on the highway and here and there, throughout the day and into the evening.
As we were heading home I was pulled over by a highway officer who had to ask, "Why on earth are you wearing sunglasses at night?" I relied, "Well, I don't have a helmet so if I didn't wear these sunglasses I'd would've gotten wacked in my eye by that flying bug, about 2 miles ago!"
Keep in mind that I was about 24 years old and my explanation made perfect sense to me.......  😏

• Like 1

Years ago I developed a habit of using my t-shirt to wipe off lenses. If they got dirty, spit was my lens cleaner fluid. Ah, but back then eyeglasses had……glass lenses. So no issues with scratching. I work construction so dust is the norm. 

Well one year I bought these new fangled hard coat plastic lenses. Tranistion, polarized, the works. $500. The lady gave me a nice micro fiber cloth and said to always use that. On day 1 a machine went by me blowing dust everywhere and using the old t-shirt method taught me a hard lesson. On the drive home after dark those lenses had a million-billion little scratches. Holy crap!! It was looking through wax paper trying to drive at night. My next pair of glasses had glass lenses again and I generally buy glass lens sunglasses. 

Ray Ban had a pair of wayfarers a few years back with rubber frame and plastic lenses. Nice shades. They are flat black. My son remarked how he liked them so I gave them to him before I screwed those up too. 

Many people swear by Costa and Arnette for good plastic lenses. Gargoyles are able to withstand a 22 bullet from 10' so those are truely "bullet proof". As in even a June bug at 65mph won't phase those. A coworker has a pair with prescription inserts on the inside of his. 

• Like 1