Key FOB cannot be programmed

I bought a used key fob from a commercial fob retailer on eBay, and it is the same model as the original fob that came with the car. I took it to a Lexus dealership to get programmed, and they tried to program it, but were unable to and told me that it cannot be programmed. When I asked why (is it defective, incompatible, some other reason), the technician couldn't answer the question confidently. First he told me that once a fob is programmed for a car, it cannot be reprogrammed for another. If that's true, I responded, why do they sell used ones on eBay? Then he basically told me that you have a 50/50 chance of making a used one work.

This does not make sense to me. Either used fobs can be reprogrammed for another vehicle or they cannot. I don't understand how there can be some magical variable that determines whether a compatible model fob will work with a given car.

Can someone shed some light on this? Thanks!

2010 IS 350C

• 1 month later...

You need to get an unlocked key, otherwise you have to have a scanner and software to unlock it.  I purchased a used unlocked Lexus key fob on ebay from floridafobs.  I was able to program it with my obd scanner that can also copy key fobs.  Check the battery as well.  

If they said that they sold you an unlocked key fob, tell them it is still locked and exchange it.