Recommended gasoline grade for 2017 RX350 Base

I'm new to the group and recently bought a 2017 RX350. Many sites including Lexus recommends Grade 87 (unleaded fuel) for gasoline, but the Lexus dealership agent recommended grade 89 minimum. Just wondering if you can share your experience and recommendation. Thank you in advance.

There should be a fuel grade recommendation in your owner's manual. Consumer Reports advises that premium should really be used in your car only if your owner’s manual mandates it. 

Thank you for your kind response. The owner’s manual says 87 (RON 91) or higher.  How would you interpret that? Based on my research, USA’s AKI 87 is equivalent to RON 91.

Now the question is, using higher grade would do any good to my car or using 87 would damage the engine in the long run?

any information would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

I tried one tank of mid-test in the 2018 RX and found no difference in performance or MPG. 

What you should consider is to stay away from cheap grocery store gas. I only use high detergent gas like Shell and Exxon and keep the receipts if a future owner ever wants to know what kind of gas I use.  I have had problems with a Camry using cheap gas over time. Your engine is designed to handle knock using regular gas. But your fuel injectors stay a lot cleaner in the long run with a high-detergent regular.  It all comes from the same tanker, but it's the additives they put in it that makes the difference.

Look for the Top Tier performance standard advertised for your gas station.  Cheap gas often use the minimum EPA required amount of detergent additives and they will not tell you what standard they use. 

Thank you. Following toptiergas.com recommendation and using 87 from Sunoco which was listed on the website. Thank you all once again for your response.

• 3 months later...

A search of bing:   Is Costco gas certified top tier?

Answer: Yes it is...

Same question for Sam's Club:   No it is not.   But, they stress that Sam's is still very high quality gas, but the seller for some reason has not gone for the certification.

That's just one opinion on the web.  I only use Shell or Exxon.  Just a habit, I guess...

On 5/21/2021 at 10:20 AM, H.M. Arif said:

Thank you for your kind response. The owner’s manual says 87 (RON 91) or higher.  How would you interpret that? Based on my research, USA’s AKI 87 is equivalent to RON 91.

Now the question is, using higher grade would do any good to my car or using 87 would damage the engine in the long run?

any information would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

I interpret this as meaning you can use 87 or higher octane but I've also seen car manuals that add " Higher octane fuel will provide higher performance." or something similar.