I've had an RX450H for about 6 weeks.  The seats are the most uncomfortable I've ever experienced.  My most recent ride was a Nissan Murano, with the most comfortable seats ever.  Previously had an ES350 that did not experience this problem.  I have memory gel foam cushions that are not helping.  My spouse has some heft, whereas I am very thin.  Doesn't matter, neither of us can sit on these seats for more than a short trip. I'll be anxious to learn if anyone should find a solution to the discomfort.  I'm pretty angry that I've spent over 50K for a car that I can't stand being in.

• Sad 1

Do you have the f sport or luxury version?  I came from a rav4 and the rav4 seats are much better….I’m also angry that I spent so much on a luxury vehicle and this is the seat comfort I get…..

29 minutes ago, J.89 said:

Do you have the f sport or luxury version?  I came from a rav4 and the rav4 seats are much better….I’m also angry that I spent so much on a luxury vehicle and this is the seat comfort I get…..

1 hour ago, J.89 said:

“ Luxury”….

I also traded a Rav4 (2018) for the Lexus RX350.  After long trips on an eBike at speeds up to 28 MPH, with no shock absorbers, you can pretty much guess I never complain about driver seats.

But (Drum Roll....) My wife thought the seats in the RX were more comfortable than the Rav4 seats.  And she don't peddle her a-- all over town on an eBike neither.... 

1 hour ago, Les Lex 2018 said:

I also traded a Rav4 (2018) for the Lexus RX350.  After long trips on an eBike at speeds up to 28 MPH, with no shock absorbers, you can pretty much guess I never complain about driver seats.

But (Drum Roll....) My wife thought the seats in the RX were more comfortable than the Rav4 seats.  And she don't peddle her a-- all over town on an eBike neither.... 

She’s lucky!  My opinion… some cars had a flaw in the seat production… and a few of us are suffering for it. 

20 hours ago, peridot123 said:

I've had an RX450H for about 6 weeks.  The seats are the most uncomfortable I've ever experienced.  My most recent ride was a Nissan Murano, with the most comfortable seats ever.  Previously had an ES350 that did not experience this problem.  I have memory gel foam cushions that are not helping.  My spouse has some heft, whereas I am very thin.  Doesn't matter, neither of us can sit on these seats for more than a short trip. I'll be anxious to learn if anyone should find a solution to the discomfort.  I'm pretty angry that I've spent over 50K for a car that I can't stand being in.

18 hours ago, GolfGirl said:

So much for “ luxury” 😠

Very uncomfortable seats.

The RX350 is a $ for $ direct competitor to the luxurious Lincoln Navigator.

Here is the comparison that the CR Buying Guide 2020, page 160 makes between the two vehicles:

The RX350: Good Ride and Quiet.  Low points were agility/stopping distance/distracting controls. 

Navigator: Quietness/rear seat room.  Low points were uncomfortable front seats/clumsy handling/ confusing gear shift and lousy gas milage.

Point being, that we do know CR's savvy inspectors are looking for and testing for seat comfort.  They do find problems, but not in the 2020 RX.

When someone says that the Rav4 (like mine) was more comfortable than an RX, it reminds me of the Quiet rating people put on tires at TireRack.  To me, all tires are quiet on brand new black top highways.  And all tires are noisy on old worn down asphalt and cement.  I just ain't smart enough to be able to tell tireRack that my tires are noisier than they should be. So I can't.  I spend way too much Time worrying if the guy behind me is awake and/or has automatic braking...

15 minutes ago, Les Lex 2018 said:

The RX350 is a $ for $ direct competitor to the luxurious Lincoln Navigator.

Here is the comparison that the CR Buying Guide 2020, page 160 makes between the two vehicles:

The RX350: Good Ride and Quiet.  Low points were agility/stopping distance/distracting controls. 

Navigator: Quietness/rear seat room.  Low points were uncomfortable front seats/clumsy handling/ confusing gear shift and lousy gas milage.

Point being, that we do know CR's savvy inspectors are looking for and testing for seat comfort.  They do find problems, but not in the 2020 RX.

When someone says that the Rav4 (like mine) was more comfortable than an RX, it reminds me of the Quiet rating people put on tires at TireRack.  To me, all tires are quiet on brand new black top highways.  And all tires are noisy on old worn down asphalt and cement.  I just ain't smart enough to be able to tell tireRack that my tires are noisier than they should be. So I can't.  I spend way too much Time worrying if the guy behind me is awake and/or has automatic braking...

This is a 2021 RX. Must have changed manufacturing standards. On the other hand, I don’t find the controls at all distracting!

The 2018 had cooling problems in the front seats. Lexus said seats do cool, but you just don't notice it. Funny!!!

Fact is that is was just a lousy design. Either in the 19 or 20 design, they fixed the problem, meaning that either the seats and/or a better fan had been incorporated.

The 2020 works like a champ.  But - According to my salesman, the 21 is identical to the 20 except for the front Grill. They always change something so the sales person can tell the difference w/o looking at the sticker. S o one could believe that the 2020 seat design is identical to the 2021. Why change it if it works.

And then you could deduce that the 2020 CR review will not change in 2021, unless the inspectors are more or less picky. We shell see...

8 minutes ago, Les Lex 2018 said:

The 2018 had cooling problems in the front seats. Lexus said seats do cool, but you just don't notice it. Funny!!!

Fact is that is was just a lousy design. Either in the 19 or 20 design, they fixed the problem, meaning that either the seats and/or a better fan had been incorporated.

The 2020 works like a champ.  But - According to my salesman, the 21 is identical to the 20 except for the front Grill. They always change something so the sales person can tell the difference w/o looking at the sticker. S o one could believe that the 2020 seat design is identical to the 2021. Why change it if it works.

And then you could deduce that the 2020 CR review will not change in 2021, unless the inspectors are more or less picky. We shell see...

Maybe the seat manufacturing crew had a bad day!

Or worse, they may have built your 2021 RX, working from home ;+) BAD Joke!  

My 2020 was built in the middle of the China Pandemic, but it is flawless - knock on wood.

And all the wood in the RX including the steering wheel is real wood (natural Bamboo).  Nice!

• 2 months later...
On 9/7/2021 at 7:14 PM, Les Lex 2018 said:

Just to be specific - You should probably change that movement to "protesting 2021 RX seats" because I forced my fist into every square inch of both the front and back seats of my 2020, and I can assure you that there are no humps of any kind in any of the seats in this 2020 RX.  

I have the exact same problem with my 2020 Lexus RX 450h.  This is the 2 way lumbar support instead of the 4 way that I have on my very comfortable 2008 RX 400h. It is incredibly annoying and unbearable.  Any luck with seat cushions anyone??

3 hours ago, Kabir-art said:

I have the exact same problem with my 2020 Lexus RX 450h.  This is the 2 way lumbar support instead of the 4 way that I have on my very comfortable 2008 RX 400h. It is incredibly annoying and unbearable.  Any luck with seat cushions anyone??

I’ve given up!  Sometimes it’s not so bad. But I still haven’t taken a long enough trip to see if the seat is complete misery. 

• 2 months later...

Hi all. I'm from Singapore, far from the US but near to this issue. I've a 2021 RX300 non F-Sport and this is the worst seat ever. Main problems I think are lack of cushion, gel layer, holes for vent resulting in a seat that warms up too much,bubbles up a bit and does not support. Stiches are like barbed wire too. Even my $5 plastic chairs at home are better. I've never had back ache like this before. I've had an IS and 2011 RX before, and I think this is my last Lexus, just because of a bad seat

Edited by Warner B

Sorry you are miserable too! I don’t have an issue with the heating apparatus… it’s cold here and my tush warms nicely. It’s the Big Lump along the butt crack ( indelicately said) that I swear is a glob of gel with a life of its own. Although as it ages it seems to be dying down. May it eventually rot in Hell!

To me that is an anomaly and hence a manufacturer's defect because it not design fault and it doesn’t occur in other RXs in the US or in Singapore! If you had reported it to your advisor early and being in the US,  I would expect Lexus US to change the entire seat or at least the leather+padding for you. Even if you didn’t, the seat is expected to last for year and not have a “crack” eggy lump for you to put up with! Consumer laws in US are the best worldwide and if you can, demand an official response from Lexus US and Japan. Are there probono lawyers to act for you? No one likes this route but I would if you can. Where as in Singapore, no such consumer rights and to be honest, mine isn’t a defect, it’s just bad design and the test drive of 15mins didn’t reveal the darn thing before I got the car. Oh well, Bimmer next ?

Edited by Warner B

Just from personal experience, you need to be able to define, show / demonstrate the problem before using the consumer protection laws put in place here.

Why?  When you get into areas like comfort, noise, handling, ride, smell, appearance, etc., those are subjective senses that don't lend themselves well to quantifications that lead to a pass/fail criteria which can then be used to arbitrates a successful conclusion and solution.  The Lemon Law arbitrator is suppose to be independent and fair to both sides.  So I wonder if an arbitrator would even take the case if it involved issues subject to personal interpretation.  In such a case, it helps if/for the seller to do some quick PR and swap out the seat anyway, right?

Just looking at both sides.

I’ve been up the chain. They say… hmmm… maybe I feel a bump ( one tech said he began to notice it on his own Lexus car seat when made aware but it was barely there) but the seat is within specs. Others didn’t feel anything… so obviously it’s subjective. It’s been almost a year… I’ve survived. Other than that… my dealership takes good care of me. 

True. The issue of contention needs to be "demonstrated" for the dealership to be compelled to act. I'm an MD who serves the community so my car's reliability (and to a certain extent comfort) is crucial for my work. In Singapore, and I guess for most people who only have 1 vehicle to themselves, aftersales service is everything and Lexus here seems to  be the best. Many things are based on trust and hopefully your dealership will honor your trust in them by helping resolve your discomfort even if they don't perceive anything wrong. One way to do this is to change the leather+sponge padding (it's possible to do this while retaining the seat frame-the most costly part of the seat) and the dealership do it as courtesy rather than because it's a 'defect' or they bear some or most of the costs, again as courtesy. 

On 9/8/2021 at 6:53 AM, GolfGirl said:

I previously had a 2004 RX… and of course it was super comfy. 

Leda - my wife had a 2005 RX 330 and loved the seats.  She bought a used 2015 RX 350 a few years ago and hates the seats and cannot drive for very long without discomfort - either pain or some numbness in her pelvis and legs.  She thinks the difference in comfort has to do with the equipment in the seat for heating and cooling vs. the non-heated seats.

Does anyone know if a heated seat cushion can be replaced with a non-heated seat?  One dealership I called said no because of the sensors in the cushion showing the seat is occupied, but the non-heated seat cushion would have a similar sensor.  I may pose this on the general forum as a new question.

I suppose adding internal padding to the seat might help.  My wife has bought various cushions to sit on which help some, but don't alleviate the problem completely.

https://parts.lexus.com/p/lexus__/Seat-Cushion-Cover-Left--Front-IVORY/66820484/710720E251A1.html

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I just test drove a 21 RX 350 non sport.

I am 5”8 and 160 and the drivers seat was very uncomfortable. The salesman did acknowledge there has been cushion issues with the drivers seat.

I am 3 hrs removed the test drive and my bottom still hurts. Specifically both of my bottom bones.

I wanted to buy this vehicle but feel I have no choice but to pass.

I’ve just looked into a cushion but if I’m spending this kind of money I would expect to not have to do this.

I understand everyone is different but for me the seat just was not comfortable .

My test drive was about 30 minutes covering highway and neighborhood roads.

I think this topic deserves special notice because the issue is bad enough for me, and maybe others, to leave Lexus altogether. After months of investigation, I got more info and perhaps a low-down on the matter. Firstly, I love or used to, Lexus mainly because of its reliability, luxury and subtle image. I had a 2007 IS250, 2012 RX450h and now Nov 2021 RX300. THIS IS THE WORST LEXUS I have had. To me, the seats, esp the drivers, are very uncomfortable. To give it a bit more background: I'm 5'8", 245lb. Short and broad. My RX450h had the BEST SEATS in the world. My RX300 is the other end of the spectrum and after months of looking into this, I summarise it here. Issue #1: As a result of the Ventilated Seat design, the cushions underneath are much thinner than older Lexus. I had my seat cushions replaced (at my own cost) thinking this would solve my issue with discomfort. The sales guy reluctantly showed me the old cushions and they are flat, thin and not supportive. Issue #2: The leather used is soft but actually quite rough and IMO, low quality, compared to yesteryears. It adds to the seat discomfort. Issue #3: This issue took me a while to determine. My seats have the option of cool with aircon or hot with a heater. Being in tropical Singapore in SouthEast Asia, I don't use the heater option. I have tried varying settings of the A/C seats. While the seats themselves become very cold to touch while not seated on them, the cold feeling does NOT come through. This is because when I sat on the seat, all the cold air is blocked from coming out and diverted to areas where my body does not block the vents, ie diverted to areas that do NOT need cooling. How dumb is that! Wait, it gets even dumber. Some parts of the seat are warm because the aircon blower motors WITHIN the seats are working! Issue #4: So I switched off the cool ventilation of the seats and the seats actually warm up because the motor keeps running slightly despite being switched off! Issue #5: This is so ridiculous that I don't know what Lexus was thinking. There is mild SUCTION in certain areas of the seat through the ventilation holes. Its because the motors suck air in, cools that air that has been sucked in and mixes it with the cold air from the main car A/C and blows it out (to areas that I do not need, as described above). This literally SUCKS. I hope that I have shed some light with my "findings". My back aches so bad after just 15 minutes that I'm thinking of abandoning Lexus totally. We don't have far to drive in tiny Singapore but man, this is really getting on my nerves. It's the worst design flaw that Lexus has committed. Worst of all, being a Japanese company, they don't bother with feedback input and are unlikely to change with future models because the 2023 NX have similar seat designs! If I knew all this, I would not have gotten the RX. It was silly to assume that with a test drive, I would have noticed how unsupportive and warm these seats get despite the purported cooling ventilation. Be warned, those who have yet to buy this RX. To each his own but to me, this is the worst seat ever in any car I have sat on.