Long time members, are you still around?

Bykfixer

It seems like I have been here for around 20 years or so...I used to be here every day, Several times. Then life get's busy, Times change, Priorities change etc...I always have checked in and had a look around. This is truly a Great Forum. Calm, Cool and Collect  🙂 I'll never not come here for information.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dcfish said:

It seems like I have been here for around 20 years or so...I used to be here every day, Several times. Then life get's busy, Times change, Priorities change etc...I always have checked in and had a look around. This is truly a Great Forum. Calm, Cool and Collect  🙂 I'll never not come here for information.

....and its always a pleasure to see you here dcfish 

20 years is a very long time but soon flies by as you get older 🙂

• Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 8:40 PM, Bykfixer said:

When you're 22 the 20 years from then seems like it'll never arrive. When it does arrive you wonder at what point did you skip 15 of them. 

🙂   I used to think that and then suddenly 20 years just flies by almost overnight and then you wonder where they have gone.....and how much beer has been drunk in that time 🙂

• Like 1

I joined my first forum nearly 20 years ago. Skateboarder forums for those over 30 called skate geezers. They were like chat rooms with a library. It was not unusual for members to toss books at each other back then but it just seemed kinda normal. I remember staff asking folks to reduce file size of photos because it was costing them more $ for the extra bandwidth. I also have some stuff they'd sell to raise funds to keep (then ad free) sites going. Those places are long gone. So is the dial up bandwidth I used. DSL? That's for wealthy folks. lol. I was called 'cracked-frisbee' back then. See, once a frisbee cracked in the center people threw them away. I'd super glue mine and keep using it. 

Then I joined a car forum about 10 years ago that had ads but they weren't in your face nor the pop up type. However if you posted a photo there it was not uncommon to see your photo pop up in Google searches for a brand of jacket or something. By then I did all of my forum time on a smart phone. Again it was like a chat room with a library. Then long time users began to fade away and the places began to become more like facebook where new members would post a question, recieve an answer (or not) then disappear. That was not new, but it became the normal traffic since "the family" had all but gone away. At that point in life I used to fix neighborhood kids bicycles and teach them how to. Eventually kids called me "that bike fixer guy" so I went with that name. 

A few years ago I joined a flashlight forum while searching for ways to convert interior car lighting to LED. That one was very orderly and drama free like this one. It still has a bunch of activity by long term members who call themselves flashaholics. You may know one. That guy with 44 flashlights…… but it is paid for by flashlight company's buying ads. Many are small companies and the community there buys products from them instead of Home Depot. Again, the family is starting to slowly go in different directions. 

My son sold me his 2004 GS300 with a few gremlins so I joined here to learn all I can and share some know how I've learned over the years. And if you hadn't noticed by now I like to tell stories of life's good times. Maybe someday I'll be saying "my gosh, where did the 20 years go?" but for now I've recently celebrated 30 days. Phew that sure went by fast. 

• Like 1

Great story Mike, always nice to know someones journey through life, and especially through forums.
Forums have come and gone much like most things in life but forums have always been there with a friendly atmosphere but social is just like chatting to a stranger in the street but not the same as having a beer with your friends.
Time certainly does fly though, got to make every day count as you get the other side of the hill 🙂

• Like 1