Windshield

hey guys!

I bought my 95 SC300 about 2 months ago and it has been the best 2 months in my life! the car's been running like a dream....but when i bought it there was a small chip in the windshield, well i didnt think it was a big deal, but now its huge! it expanded everywhere, so i need to get a new windshield, i was wondering if anyone knew where i could get one cheap...i can only imagine the price a lexus dealership will put on that sucker!!! so id rather first see if i can get like a used one or something cheap...

thanks

yea go for good stuff and after install go for a test drive on the freeway before you pay so you can check for seal leaks . they can screw up on that. and watch for interior defections that may have occured during install, and have them take care of it.

Depending on your insurance it may not be as expensive as you think.

I have glass replacement on my insurance and I don't pay anything when I need glass replaced. It costs a couple bucks a month, but I think it's worth it. Here in the midwest we get a lot of chips in th winter from the grit they put on the roads.

If you have this insurance, go to the Lexus dealer and get a genuine part.

Tom

I will need a new wind shield as well. But my baby does not go on the road much and the pock is hardly noticeable. It's on the long list. I will source an oem windshield when I go and have a very trustworthy body guy do the work. You get what you pay for. If you skimp, you will have a not so good job done with a maybe not so good part.

To piggyback on jbarhorst2's comment. Every full coverage policy I've had has included coverage specifically for glass. In the case of chips & small cracks.. If it can be repaired, they'll do it for free. They will replace it for whatever it cost, less a deductible. Maybe $50-100 depending on the policy. Some glass companies will work it out where they'll pay part or all of your deductible. ... All provided you have full coverage. Contact your agent

personally i get PPG windshields. cheaper windshields have distortion in the glass...ripples/waves.

I've replaced the windshields in both my SC's, I found that the PPG had a good amount of distortion on the pass side and was very unhappy with it. The factory windshield is pricey but the quality will of course be oem, there are good aftermarket replacements though. Also, you should know that a claim on a windshield can actually be considered a full claim as if it were some type of an accident....your ins company might put it on your record as an incident, which will not have a big impact but can raise the amount of your policy if you have another 'incident.' Seems stupid but that's the case.

I HAVE AN '04 LX 470 AND AN '03 LX470 AND NOW HAVE 3 CHIPS IN THE WINDSHIELDS BETWEEN THE TWO OF THEM IN THE LAST 4 MONTHS!! I THINK THAT THERE IS SOMETHING SERIOUSLY DEFECTIVE WITH THESE WINDSHIELDS. ANYONE ELSE HAVING THESE PROBLEMS? I NOTICED THE SAME COMPLAINT IN A GX470 FORUM ON THESE BOARDS.

personally i get PPG windshields.  cheaper windshields have distortion in the glass...ripples/waves.

I've replaced the windshields in both my SC's, I found that the PPG had a good amount of distortion on the pass side and was very unhappy with it. The factory windshield is pricey but the quality will of course be oem, there are good aftermarket replacements though. Also, you should know that a claim on a windshield can actually be considered a full claim as if it were some type of an accident....your ins company might put it on your record as an incident, which will not have a big impact but can raise the amount of your policy if you have another 'incident.' Seems stupid but that's the case.

hmmm strange..i had 3 PPG windshields installed (different cars) and they all seem to be fine. :huh: