RX 350 or 450H?

I currently have a GX460('14) and would like to give it to my DIL since it's getting harder and harder for me to get in and out.   I'm looking at a certified 2018 450H and a 2018 RX350.   I've never had a hybrid Lexus, but my husband loves his Prius he uses for work.  I've driven a Lexus since the 1990's and have had no trouble with any of them (5).  

I'd like to know the positives of the 450H other than the good gas mileage. Now I only use 10-15K miles a year and 15 is stretching it!  

Hi Joyce

It depends on where the vehicle is driven...e.g. freeway or city driving as the hybrid system needs to regenerate to optimize the economy so this is a major consideration

Here is a useful comparison between the two model versions

https://www.lexusofseattle.com/compare-2020-lexus-rx-350-vs-2020-lexus-rx-450h-lynnwood-wa/#:~:text=One of the most significant,and it offers 295 horsepower.&text=In comparison%2C the 2020 Lexus,powertrain with a hybrid component.

• 3 months later...
On 4/9/2021 at 8:58 AM, browercreed said:

I am trying to decide as well...what thread did you find regarding the comparison?

On 4/9/2021 at 8:58 AM, browercreed said:

Thanks for your response.  I finally found a thread that spoke about the advantages other than gas mileage.  

6 hours ago, Dch11 said:

I am trying to decide as well...what thread did you find regarding the comparison

It's been awhile and I can't remember if it was a thread here or just something I found on the internet.  They seemed to

think the 450H was the best choice all around. As for me I can't find either car so I may just go with whichever one becomes 

available soonest since I am now driving my DIL's little Ford Edge.

We were among the first buyers of the RX400h in April of 2005 after waiting for 1 year or so. It is now 16+ years later and we still love this vehicle. The only issue it has had in all these years was resolved by squirting some powdered graphite in the ignition switch. (The key wouldn't quite go all the way in.) 
We have averages 25-26 MPG compared to the existing RX330s average rating of 18 or 19 MPG. 
Its power was certainly a step above the non-hybrid RX. In fact, the RX400h was faster than a Porsche Cayenne at the time. 0-60 MPH for our RX is 6.6 seconds.

Yes, when you accelerate hard there is some motor noise but this is not a common occurrence (having to accelerate briskly). The new RX450h is without a doubt an improvement over ours, and with gas prices skyrocketing, you will recoup any extra cost for an RX450 faster than you may think. 

I sold my Camry Hybrid (nice MPG) because I moved into the city.  Now Walmart, Lexus (one mile), Kroger, Burglar King, Publix are all within an average of 3 miles.

As a result, the engine did not run long enough to keep the batteries charged.

I really, really need an all electric RX350 when I trade in 2024. But I don't see it coming.

My longest trip is to a son who lives in Tuscaloosa at about 140 miles one-away.

On 7/12/2021 at 3:03 PM, Dch11 said:

I am trying to decide as well...what thread did you find regarding the comparison

Gosh I can’t remember. It’s been awhile, and now I can’t find either car. They thought the 450H was the better buy all around. 

We have a 2008 Prius we seldom use, but have had NO issues with the battery. I can’t understand why you’d have problems with the RX in this respect. I don’t go much anymore so either car will be ok with me. I just love the RX. 

With any ICE or ICE/hybrid vehicle it is never a good idea to drive less than say, 10 miles, anyway (depending on ambient temperature) unless within a few days you're planning to go on a longer trip. As Les Lex mentioned, mostly very short trips would be best with an all-electric vehicle. Toyota is working with solid state batteries, and it'll be interesting to see how that turns out.

Car & Driver magazine just announced the winner of their first annual Best Electric Car comparison.
They mentioned that although Tesla has been in this business for 10 years, their quality/reliability has been so dismal that C&D could not select any one of their models as the winner. The new Ford Mustang electric vehicle won the comparison but given Ford's history of poor reliability, I'd be very wary of buying it.

I have to be careful not to compare the Camry H to the Prius to the 400H because they are all built and programmed differently.

But the Camry was too efficient IMO.  My MPG was consistently double what my previous Camry delivered for Suburb driving. 42 MPG.

Because it was too efficient, the engine dropped out so much that when I moved to the city with a lot of long lights, I wasn't charging the NiMhi Battery as indicated by the dashboard, but the car was still powered and was sucking juice.  AND the engine was running cold by the time I get home.  As Dave mentioned, that is not good.  Prius and 400H may act completely different. I'd have to own one to know the diff.

I really liked the 400H but driving one in Mid-town would be like "cruelty to engines".

Long commutes in heavy traffic is PERFECT for running a Hybrid. You can double your MPG.  I'm a believer!!!

My wife and I have always made sure our commutes to work were not too long or too short. Most were combinations of highway and city. Driving early in the morning (6:00 to 6:30) meant there was very little traffic. Afternoon traffic was not bad, and the distance of 10-15 miles was enough to keep hybrid and ICE vehicle batteries well charged.

The grocery store is within 5 miles but I always drive an extra 10 miles on the highway before heading to the store.