2008 RX400h power windows inoperable after cleaning lead-acid battery posts.

So I performed the routine task of cleaning the lead-acid battery posts, which of course requires removing the clamps from the posts and then reinstalling them once the posts and the clamps have been cleaned.

I expected the power seat resets to require re-programming afterward, and this was in fact the case. Those pre-sets are now back to normal. What I did not expect was a) for the steering wheel to refrain from going from its stowed position when parked to its pre-set position when the ignition key is inserted into the switch, and b) for the power windows to quit working - except for the one in the drivers' door, which does work, but only when the button is held down or up manually, ie: the automatic one-touch-opens-or-closes-the-window feature does not work.

First, the steering wheel: Once I manually move it into the desired driving position it operates normally thereafter, ie: it retracts when the key is removed, and moves to the preset driving position when the key is inserted. But as soon as my better half selects the set-position pre-sets that suits her (ie: position 2) the wheel once again fails to extend upon key insertion until after she manually positions it to her liking, after which it continues to operate normally. That is, until I re-select seat setting position 1 again, at which time the steering wheel re-set process must be repeated.

Now onto the main post topic of the inop power windows: Is there a re-set feature for this glitch? I found nothing in the owners' manual, and the info on fuse positions for these windows is sketchy at best. Wife drove the car to work, so I cannot check the fuses at this time. Has anyone else experienced these snafus? If so, what was the fix?

I believe you have to run each window down and up using the control at each window, not from the driver's seat. The moon roof may require the same. It's been a while since I changed the battery but you do need to relearn the windows.

Tried the individual windows on each door. They go up and down, but only via their own switch (ie: not the one located on the drivers door - except of course for the switch that controls the driver's window), and only as long as I hold the switch down (or up, depending on direction). There is no one-touch feature at any of the four windows. The sunroof seems unaffected and operates normally in all parameters, including one-touch.

Fixed. Found the following video that explains the process. To reset the power windows it is necessary to put the windows part-way down using the switches on the door for each window. Then pull each switch upward and hold for three to five seconds AFTER the window has closed. This re-sets the windows. 

How To Re-Calibrate 2nd Generation Lexus RX Windows Quickly (Lexus RX330, RX350, RX400H etc.) - YouTube

• Like 1

I found this information in the Owner’s manual of my 2006 RX400h. I was too lazy to do the rear side door windows though. In my RX the moon roof motor drive belt is broken, so I had only the power windows and seat memory to  be reset. 

Off topic: I’m really satisfied with the Mark Levinson audio and owning the car over a year I found it compatible with my iPhone’s bluetooth 😊

ps. Thanks for the youtube link as they are always welcome. 

You're welcome Tommi. I looked for the info in my owners manual for the '08 and completely missed it - blind in one eye, can't see out of the other. 

The only thing I was unable to resolve is the automatic steering re-set. Prior to cleaning my battery posts my steering wheel would extend from the retracted position without fail any time the key was inserted into the ignition. This was regardless of whether or not the seat pre-sets were cycled whenever my squeeze drove the car.

But now, whenever I select seat position #1 for myself after she drove it, the steering wheel remains retracted when the key is inserted. After I manually extend and lower it to the driving position it behaves normally, ie: retracts on key removal and extends on key insertion - until after the next time she selects seat position #2....

I’m not sure how the steering wheel automatic adjustment worked after I disconnected the battery but I think that I just set the memory after the manual adjustment of the steering wheel. And it works as it should since then. On cold weather the electric motor is slower but that is another thing. 
I have the OBD code reader that can reset fault codes and read live data too. Not that my Lexus needs fault code resetting but it’s a cheap way to look into systems and good to have in case you would need  it when something unusual happens with your car. 

• Thanks 1