Throttle Sensor Trouble?

:angry: For about 2 months or so I have been dealing with acceleration problems. I have a 1992 sc300. When I accelerate gradually the car seems to jerk back and forth and the rpm gauge seems to stop then cut back in. I took it to numerous mechanics and I have replaced all the plugs and got a new set of wires. The last time I was at the shop, the problem was fixed by the mechanic adjusting the throttle sensor. This worked for about 3-4 days and now the problem is back! What does the throttle sensor look like and where is it in the engine compartment? About how much do they run? Could ther be another problem? I am tired of dealing with this loss of power. The car still accelerates quickly if I punch the gas pedal down but when a constant speed is held around 40mph and accelerating slowly I feel the jerk and loss of power.

near the trottle body there are (usually) 2 sensors. they are black and look like the top view of an igloo it could be the contact between the connector in that case just giggle the connector a bit and see what happens. if the sensor is bad then you have to take it in to a mechanic or the dealer because it is position sensitive and they need to hook it up to an ohm meter or something like that and read resistance at idle to determine its position. i think the sensors run about $100 give or take.

:angry: For about 2 months or so I have been dealing with acceleration problems. I have a 1992 sc300. When I accelerate gradually the car seems to jerk back and forth and the rpm gauge seems to stop then cut back in. I took it to numerous mechanics and I have replaced all the plugs and got a new set of wires. The last time I was at the shop, the problem was fixed by the mechanic adjusting the throttle sensor. This worked for about 3-4 days and now the problem is back! What does the throttle sensor look like and where is it in the engine compartment? About how much do they run? Could ther be another problem? I am tired of dealing with this loss of power. The car still accelerates quickly if I punch the gas pedal down but when a constant speed is held around 40mph and accelerating slowly I feel the jerk and loss of power.

hey what's up, i attached a pics of the throttle sensor. good luck

throttle_sensors.sized.jpg

Thankyou everyone for the advice. I contacted Lexus and they said a new throttle position sensor is 90.00 not including my wholesale disc! not too bad considering TAP recycling wants 95 for a used one with the throttle body.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have had about three diagnostics from the lexus dealer. Every time it is something different. I have now replaced all the plugs and wires twice, the cap and rotor, PCV vent hose and all of the air intake hose. I still have this random misfire when the car is warm at a stop and I still sense a pulling back while accelerating quickly or staying at a constant speed. That is all I can tell you becuae the service manager at lexus is going to get a new whole torn on Monday when he gets back from vacation. I will post more as I find out. I am about to replace the fuel filter as well but not for about a week. Car is in the shop for paint work.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys , Just wanted to see if this problem has been resolved. I am having the same issue. Did you replace the Throttle sensor? Seems to only happen when engine gets hot. IE using the air conditioning on a hot day.