Should I replace the timing belt?

McJames

Hi Jim....welcome to the Club

If in doubt then I would certainly replace the timing belt and tensioners due to age and mileage.
Also, it if you are replacing the coolant hoses then I would also recommend replacing the water pump at the same time as the belts.

Here is an article that may provide some useful information to tackle the job
https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/84315-cambelt-question/

• 8 months later...

ABSOLUTELY!!  Believe the manual when it says X number of miles OR Y number of years.  Rubber deteriorates just with TIME.  

It's a do-able job for the home mechanic - see my suggestions elsewhere in this forum - BUT I advise  also taking the manual's suggestion and using the special Toyota sealant. It's horrible expensive, over $100 retail, so I just used my old favorite here in my shop. It started leaking a month later and almost wrecked the motor, since we seldom see critical temp until it's too late.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Jim,

When I recently purchased a 1998 LS400 with 28,000 miles, my Lexus mechanic replaced the original timing belt and kept all of the original hoses.  The hoses looked good.  The timing belt has (what I recall is) a 90k or 10 year replacement recommendation.