OK to drive GX470 2005 in 4 wheel drive High all the time??

Treasure Hunter

Hi Bill....welcome to the Club

I have always been of the belief that it is not advisable to drive in 4WD High or Low on hard road surfaces, as this can lead to transmission wind-up which can damage internal components.
You will notice a clunking on cornering at slow speeds which is the transmission (differentials) fighting to corner at different speeds.
If you have freewheeling hubs disconnecting the drive to the front wheels then this helps but not good to use on the freeway, best for off-road driving really.

Saying that, it is necessary to drive on soft ground in 4WD every so often to keep everything moving otherwise this can lead to components seizing in position (selector levers, etc)

I drive my Mitsubishi L200 in 2WD and occasionally shift to 4WD High and into 4WD Low on dirt tracks

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/26/2021 at 12:02 PM, Treasure Hunter said:

Thank you for your reply.  I've read in other posts that it is o.k. to drive in 4WD High all the time.  My mechanic says what you are saying, not a good idea.  Bill

Now wait a minute. I have owned an FJ80, an LX450 both were FULL TIME 4WD which means unless you Stop/neutral , shift your transfer case into “4lo” you , by default in 4hi the rest of the time, NO? What you DO NOT want to do is drive on pavement with the Center Diff. locked- very bad.  If we all take a look at our GX470’s transfer case shift lever you will see it says “H/N/L therefore if you’re not crawling as long in 4low your only choice is 4hi.   Not trying to be a Weisehiemer. I just assumed we all knew what we are driving. 

IMG_5598.jpeg

IMG_5599.jpeg

Edited by TwoShedsRX
Language