High Mileage LS430 Opinion/Advice

swankytango

Hi all, I am new to the Lexus world and that being said, I recently picked up a 2001 LS 430 with 189K for $1250.  It was throwing all kinds of codes for cylinder misfiring and I decided to take a chance on it and now after repairs I have a well running LS.  I also have a 2017 Wrangler which was my daily driver, but since the Lexus has entered the picture, it has been my daily driver.  It is an incredible drive.

As I stated earlier, I am new to the Lexus world, but have come to find out that this is one of the best and most reliable cars ever built and since I got such a great deal on it, I intend on keeping it.  Could some of the more knowledgeable members tell me what it is that I should be concerned about as far as maintenance goes for this car as I am approaching 200K miles? 

Also, are there any preventative maintenance that I should be doing other than oil changes and other fluids changes/flushes?

Last question.  I have the NAV model and wish to add Bluetooth.  I am planning on installing the Beat-sonic aftermarket stereo kit and a double din radio (see link below).  This seems like the best option for this model year LS.  If there are any other suggestions, please let me know.

Also, as a Lexus LS noob, any suggestions and or advice would be helpful.  Thanks.

Hi.....welcome to the forum.

As far as preventative maintenance goes, I would replace anything that looks under par, such as filters that look old, belts that are perishing, same with tyres.
All of these can be done over time and lead to a better and more economical and reliable drive.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Check with any Lexus dealership --- because they all share maintenance records --- to see when the timing belt and water pump were last changed.  Lexus recommends changing the timing belt every 90k miles.  The dealership recommends concurrently changing the water pump, because they tend to go out from time to time and it is much cheaper to do so when the motor is already opened up.  My 2004 LS 430 has 160,000 miles and is the best car I have ever owned, and I have owned a bunch of different brands & models over the years.  Regarding the car stereo, I have no recommendation, but did replace mine with a Pioneer that has blue tooth, touch screen and built-in amp, which provides great sound and is relatively inexpensive.

• Like 1

As far as a stereo, you may want to check with Crutchfield:
All Car Stereos at Crutchfield

They have plenty of choices and excellent installation instructions for many vehicles.

The owners/maintenance manual should have all the maintenance schedules. Maybe you can find one on Amazon's site.

• Like 1