2004 IS300 - Inside Trunk Metal Hinge Broken

mikegbuff

Has anyone had their metal bracket/hinge inside the trunk break?  It holds the two metal rods that span across the top of the trunk.  Mine broke on the right side - basically the metal piece that holds the rods just broke in half when closing the trunk as I do daily.  Maybe it is just metal fatigue as I don't see anything obviously bent or bound up.  This is what allows the trunk to stay open when raised and holds the weight when you closing it so that it doesn't slam down.  So now the trunk opens and closes fine, it just won't stay up when open.  I was wondering about the possibility of welding the metal piece back together versus finding replacement parts.  It's really hard to tell what all parts need to be replaced because it looks like some of the pieces are riveted together, not a nut/bolt or screw apart option.
It is really hard to hold open with one hand while trying to load the trunk, ha ha.
Thanks.