2009 RX350 bumper light issue

I broke a rear passenger side bumper light (?running light).  I called around and the only place that would even look at it told me to order the part and they would install it.  Very limited repair options in the lower Florida keys.  I ordered the part and he installed it while we chatted.  It was an exact fit except for the bulb which was incompatible with the harness and the mounting hole in the fixture.  The mechanic told me my best option was to remove the bulb on the other side so I don't get pulled over.  Not sure I'm comfortable leaving this as is and I'm not returning to civilization anytime soon.  Any thoughts are appreciated.  

I wonder if you got the wrong version of the light unit.  Determine where your RX was assembled - Japan or North America - and verify that the part number you were sold matches the one in the appropriate attached image.

2009 RX side marker light - assembled in North America.jpg

2009 RX side marker light - assembled in Japan.jpg

It looks like the lamp assemblies are different but the bulb and socket are the same for North America and Japan. You might want to compare the bulb numbers between the left and right sides. If it's just the wrong bulb, you can get the right one at any auto parts store, I would think.

OK, another possibility that I hesitated to bring up is that a rear fog lamp unit may be involved.  In most areas outside North America, the lamp units in the rear bumper are fog lamps instead of side marker lamps.  These rear fog lamp units use 21W bulbs instead of the 5W bulbs used in the side marker units.  The attached diagram and parts list shows the rear fog lamps for the European market RX.

There are a number of possible scenarios including ... 

1) A previous owner removed the rear side marker units, installed the rear fog light units, and did the necessary rewiring to support them.  That's exactly what I would have done since I've often installed OEM or aftermarket rear fog lamps on our vehicles.  I consider rear fog lamps infinitely more important than rear side marker lamps.

2) The OP lives in Florida but he inadvertently purchased a European, Australian, Japan, etc. market rear fog lamp as a replacement part.  These rear fog lamps have been available from a variety of sources including on eBay.

3) The OP doesn't really live in Florida or North America regardless of what his profile says, owns an RX version that originally came with rear fog lamps, and inadvertently bought a rear side marker lamp as a replacement.

So ... maybe the OP will come back to this thread and provide more information.

2009 RX rear fog light - European market.jpg

Thanks for the input to all.  I am the original owner.  Vehicle was purchased in new jersey by me when new.  There has been no work done on these lights in the past. .  The light assembly that was replaced was ordered on amazon.  No one in the lower florida keys would do this work for me without me ordering the part.  It fit perfectly however the light bulb was not the correct size to attach to the harness or go through the mounting hole. The mechanic took the light from the other side which did not fit the harness or mounting hole.  He thought my best bet was just to leave both bulbs out so as not to "get pulled over" for having a light out.  The only other solution I can think of is to take it to a dealership.  I'm getting tired of the lack of blue tooth connectivity and plan to get a new vehicle in the next few months anyway.  Again thanks for the responses.

I doubt that you would get ticketed anywhere in the U.S. for not having rear side marker lights and certainly not in the Florida keys "Conch Republic".  Is anything illegal down there?  🙄

Does your replacement lamp unit have a manufacturer name and/or part number on it or does the box it came in have it?  It would be interesting to see what it really is.

Here's an image I grabbed from Amazon that shows the back of the type of lamp module you needed.  It has a socket for a 5W side marker bulb.  If the lamp unit you bought instead has only a socket for a larger 21W rear fog lamp bulb then you've got the wrong product.  

Key West is sounding pretty good today.  It's 1 degree Fahrenheit here in Kansas which is the forecasted high for the day and I see that it is 81 degrees in Key West.  I'd rather be sitting at an outside table on Duval street drinking a beer right now.

2009 RX rear side marker for North America.jpg

Thanks for more info.  I'm sure its the wrong product but its installed... Yes I would rather be here.  Its sunny and in the 80s today and I took the dogs for the duval crawl yesterday. Live music at hogs breath and harry's hair of the dog.  Closest thing to pre pandemic life you can see in the US.

• Like 1

...not quite the same here in San Diego at 65 - 70F during the day with low humidity. Rain is still a rare occurrence. Restaurants are open, definitely outdoors but I'm not sure about indoors. Some 65+ year old healthy folks are getting Covid shots but we're not there yet.

We don't have blue tooth in two of our vehicles but I have Sirius XM music in my 2014 car. I can also hear it via blue tooth to stereo receivers at home (garage, family room, and gym).