Down Buttons On Steering Wheel Gs 400

Picked up 2000 GS 400 platinum edition that I bought on eBay. Was a good transaction but on the face of the steering wheel there are 2 buttons that are marked "down" and as far as I can tell they do nothing. No mention in the owner's manual either. Anybody know what these buttons do?

So there are... Thanks for quick response. My guess is you keep gear shift in D/M and press down to downshift and up to upshift? Doesn't seem like a feature that will mean much to me. My wife has an 01 Acura CLS that has a tiptronic type transmission. We never use it but I know Acura has had many transmission problems...related to aggresive....who knows.

If that feature doesn't mean anything to you, you have never really "driven" your car! :D . I bet you're one of those guys that gets 50K miles out of a 40K mile tire? No offense, I probably just am a bit more agressive and would appreciate the option to choose the shift points.

Find a twisty back road, lock it in manual mode and stand on the throttle. When you get close to the first U-turn bend, drop down a couple gears. Hear that sound? That's the sound of a Japanese V8 making love under the hood. Too bad I have the I6 instead of the V8.

Congrats on your new purchase.. And I'm glad you foundout what those buttons are for.. When using E-Shift, make ure you remember to shift cus it won't do it for you.. Goodluck with your GS and drive it well...

Guy T...you been reading my mail? I bought this car for the headroom. GS has considerable more in the backseat than the LS400.

I have owned fast cars since the 60's though, from my first good one: a 68 Olds 442 I got in 69 then a 72 240z I bought new, 1970 911T I snagged in 76 on to assorted Mercedes, BMW's and Vettes with some Lincolns and even a Caddy or two.

I'm 53 years old and have owned a strong business with a great car sales location since 1974, so I'll but anything I please as long as I get a deal because I can always flip it if it doesn't suit me. I nearly drove the wheels off the Porsche and the Z but truly now I drive so many interstate miles that comfort is #1 and handling a close second. After just completing a 1000 mile trip in GS400 I am pleased and amazed. This is by far the best car I've driven and the motor is the sweetest. So strong when merging or passing and still get 25 mpg. I will use the shift feature I'm sure and may go find a twisty road tonight.

And as far as taking offense, long as you don't insult my dog , we're cool.

I stand corrected. I'm a like a kid with a new toy now that I'm using the manual gear shift on the steering wheel. Bet I never see 26.7 mpg average over a 1000 mile trip again. I still bought the GS for the headroom but stretching out 2nd gear is a close second. No buyer's remorse here.

• 3 weeks later...

:cheers: are you sure that it won't let you go over red line? I just bought a GS and don''t want to do anything to mess it up...but so far it is sweet. i thought i wouldn't like the borla exhaust but it's pretty tight now. reminds me of a cobra i used to have.

does anyone know what the small green light on the rearview mirror is for?

also, how much would 5 stock 16 inch gs400 rims sell for? I have 5 of them (one is the full size spare) for sale with tires.

thanks

Jay

I stand corrected. I'm a like a kid with a new toy now that I'm using the manual gear shift on the steering wheel. Bet I never see 26.7 mpg average over a 1000 mile trip again. I still bought the GS for the headroom but stretching out 2nd gear is a close second. No buyer's remorse here.

Glad to hear you like the new found fun-buttons. It's also good to hear you appreciate the air-cooled 911. IMHO, the most satisfying hunk-o-German-iron with four wheels ever made.

I am a bit thrown off by your saying you "bought it for the headroom" though. I'm 5'11" and my head just about grazes the sunroof in the driver's seat with it adjusted all the way down. Oh crap! Is my head getting too big?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey jaygs you cant get in the red it has a rev limiter and it wont allow also it wont shift for you if u have it in fifth it will shift up to fifth on its own same in fourth if it says four thats as far as its goin on its own just like second if its in second u can put it to the floor and it wont shift til u push up.Also that green button on the mirror is to tell you whether the autodim is on.