Power Steering Pump Just Replaced, More Problems

93ls400

I just got power steering pump (93 LS 400, 119000) replaced with Autozone (part 5175). Once the pump was replaced ,my mechanic filled the resvr. with Dextron trans fluid. Now it is not working on idol and steering is extremly hard on idol, once the gas pedal is pressed steering starts softened up. Any clue , is the pump bad, or mechanic forgot to connect something back. He did recheck everything and suggested that pump is bad.

99--

did you clean out that solenoid filter yet..you promised you would get

to it this week. that may be your problem.

i cleaned mine last week..it was loaded with junk and only 61k miles on car.

lexie

Lexie

I didn't clean clean out that solenoid filter, in fact I am not technical at all, my mechanic is working on it. Can you tell how to clean that ?

I tried to race the car while parked but that didn't help. As I mentioned earlier when I race it works OK but as soon as it goes idol it gets hard again. Also it doesn't make any noise when I turn the steering (during race).

I used Dextron Trans fluid and oil level is OK as well. Thanks for all of your suggestions. I am trying to get a OEM pump, if anybody knows a cheaper place, let me know.

jack the front of your car up so that both wheels are off the ground, then with the engine not running (off), the steering pump cap off, and some rags or cardboard under the car, turn the wheel 3 or 4 time lock to lock, this will purge the air out of the pump and steering linkage, don't try is without getting the tires off the ground or you will probably have to replace the steering linkage afterwards.

93--

the solenoid is located on the p/s rack. have your mechanic trace the

two wires on the rack and it will lead him to the solenoid.

it has a thin hex nut on valve body. he will have to tap ths nut with a chisle or long screwdriver to break it loose. once the valve is out, he will see a white circular plastic collar just below a black o-ring, this is the screen.

slip it off and wash it thourghouly with break cleaner fluid. have him make sure the valve works freely and for safety's sake, also flush

the valve internals with cleaner.

my screen was loaded with junk...this could be some or all of your problem.

good luck,

lx

99--

did you clean out that solenoid filter yet..you promised you would get

to it this week. that may be your problem.

i cleaned mine last week..it was loaded with junk and only 61k miles on car.

lexie

lexie,

I don't have any problems - just curious about the procedure. Since I did the "flush" last month I haven't noticed any difference/problems. I may wait till my next oil change - which will be June when I reach 5K. When I do it, I'll have full documentation & photos of the procedure....I'll probably do another "flush" at this time also :D

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

I have been experiencing the exact same issues with my 1990 LS400. Please let me know if anyone has come up with the solution to the issue. As soon as I am idling my power steering becomes as hard as a rock. But as soon as I even slightly acellerate. It goes back to being soft again. I am sincerely looking for an answer to this one.

Gentlemen,

I have been experiencing the exact same issues with my 1990 LS400. Please let me know if anyone has come up with the solution to the issue. As soon as I am idling my power steering becomes as hard as a rock. But as soon as I even slightly acellerate. It goes back to being soft again. I am sincerely looking for an answer to this one.