I'm Replacing Tires Every 15-20 K Need Ideas

Ok. My last 2 sets of tires have worn out on the inside in less than twenty thousand miles. There is plenty of tread on the rest of the tire but the inside 1.5" is worn to the belt. I have had the car alignment checked 3 times at Lexus in the past 18 months and each time it has been right on spec. The tires are Dunlop SP5000. I rotate the tires every 5 to 8 thousand.

Has anyone seen this or have any ideas?

Thanks

Austin

Ok. My last 2 sets of tires have worn out on the inside in less than twenty thousand miles. There is plenty of tread on the rest of the tire but the inside 1.5" is worn to the belt.

It ain't right. Get a second opinion (check alignment, toe in, caster and camber of all 4 wheels) either from a reliable front end shop, a Dunlop tire store, or a different Lexus or Toyota dealer. Also make sure the shop checks the "camber" of the wheels. Wear on only one side of the tire suggests either cornering wear (caused by taking curves at excessive speeds), camber wear (due to excessive camber), or toe in or toe out wear. If all 4 tires are wearing equally, you might just be cornering at excessive speeds and with possibly too low a tire pressure. Treadware rating on Dunlop SP5000 is 340, I believe, which is lower than other some other all weather premium tires (I'm running Michelin Pilot Sports with a 400 rating on my LS430 with 20k on them and are barely worn.) But that alone shouldn't account for this kind of treadware.

You didn't say if you'd had problems with previous tires (just the last 2 sets), tell us how many miles are on the car, the tire pressure you usually run, or unusual driving conditions or habits. You're sure your not reallydriving a '97 Catera; that's what ours did.

are all 4 tires wearing like this, or only the front?

is the car lowered?

With the wear being on the inside of the tire only, that would indicate camber problems, generally. (Right HRP?)

It sounds like we can rule out cornering wear or over/under-inflation.

I'd take it to a different shop as well to get a second opinion like was mentioned above. You could always ask for a camber adjustment of .5 or 1.0 degree's and see how that works for you.

All 4 tires wear the same. I generaly drive the car very easy (commuter). The car has 114000 miles on it. I run about 32 - 34 psi in the tires. The car is 100% stock it is not lowered.

I watched them setup and check the alignment and that all looked OK. I'm thinking about taking to some other shop to have it double checked.

The guy at the Lexus dealership said that when I bought the car with 17" wheels there was a letter that said that the tires may only last between 10 and 20 thousand. I have never seen any such document.

Thanks

Austin

Even if they do wear out fast it shouldn't be only on the edges.

Are they feathering at all?

If the outer not innner was going i would say you corner fast but there is less stress put on the inside of a tire than the outer.

I can only think excessive weight but i doubt that.

I have heard of other cars with mulitple alignments wearing on the inside without it being lowered but they never posted back a resolution.

All 4 tires wear the same. I generaly drive the car very easy (commuter). The car has 114000 miles on it. I run about 32 - 34 psi in the tires. The car is 100% stock it is not lowered.

I watched them setup and check the alignment and that all looked OK. I'm thinking about taking to some other shop to have it double checked.

The guy at the Lexus dealership said that when I bought the car with 17" wheels there was a letter that said that the tires may only last between 10 and 20 thousand. I have never seen any such document.

Thanks

Austin

You may want to stop rotating your tires so you can find the problem wheel. May be a yaw or dog-tracking problem.

you know what man,..I've been thinkin'........that dealer should have given you a printout of your cars alignment spec's.

We want numbers! yeah, yeah, I'm untrusting, but I won't have a guy tell me "it matches whats in the book". :)

If you had the printout, hehe.....even of all three visits, you could then compare it to the next shop's findings AND we could compare them to what we think it should be. :) :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

I have the exact same problem. I just bought this car about 3 months ago. It had brand new toyo tires (235/45/17) on it. When I got my first oil change they told me that I had tire wear on the inside of both rear tires. They suggested an alignment and I had it aligned. I went in for my next oil change they told me that I needed new tires because I was down into the steel. I went and had another shop check the alignment. They told me that the alignment was not done right and that they had to take something apart and push it over something because when the other shop did the alignment they had something sitting on top of something. All of that mechanic jargon did not make sense to me. After the second alignment the car doesn't ride like it's aligned. It pulls to the right and the steering wheel is not centered. I do not want to buy new tires and the exact same thing happens again. Also the tires are worn worser in certain spots on the rear in the inside. The front tires are also starting to wear in the inside but not as bad as the rear are worn. Someone please help!!!! :cries: