Synthetic oil change interval

I have 2008 400H purchased new in 2008.  It only has about 80,000 km or 48,000 miles on it.  My dealer insisted on using normal oil and change every 6 months or 8k km.  If I use synthetic oil, will I be able to extend the interval to more than 6 months (e.g., 12 months) (since I have very low usage)?  

After our 2006 RX400h had passed its factory warranty period (during which time I changed oil when the maintenance light illuminated), I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic oil. At first, I was changing the oil every 6-7 months at 5000-mile intervals but eventually started changing the oil every year, since it has been taking that long to reach 5000 miles or less due to COVID-19 and resulting much reduced driving.

I am very confident that you can change the oil every year, as long as your mileage doesn't exceed the life of the oil filter and/or oil. Ideally, you'd have the used oil tested and analyzed at Blackstone Labs to verify that your change interval is acceptable. 

Side note: I change oil in all three of our vehicles, one per year with Mobil 1 synthetic oils. None exceed 5000 miles between oil changes.

• 5 months later...

If you do not change the oil in the Lexus RX, then as a result of thickening of the engine oil and the ingress of foreign particles of dust, dirt or small chips, its performance begins to decrease, which can lead to the destruction of the car engine and the cost of engine overhaul. I change the oil in my car every 5-10 thousand km, or 1 year. I also use 15W40 for these purposes and quite a bit. I don't drive in cold weather and that's what I think it`s the Best Oil and Additive for Turbo Engine Cars. I have been using it for over 6 years now.

One engine killer is condensation. Look at the inside of the oil filler cap and if it looks milky at all you need to change oil more often. 

That is why old school mechanics used to say every 90-180 days regardless of mileage. But that was referring to vehicles with nearly all city miles. 

Now on another note there are some oils that can go up to 25k miles between changes. They reccomend you change the filter every 5000 miles though. 

If you do not change the oil in the Lexus RX, then as a result of thickening of the engine oil and the ingress of foreign particles of dust, dirt or small chips, its performance begins to decrease, which can lead to the destruction of the car engine and the cost of engine overhaul. I change the oil in my car every 5-10 thousand km, or 1 year. I also use 15W40 for these purposes and quite a bit. I don't drive in cold weather and that's what I think it`s the Best Oil and Additive for Turbo Engine Cars https://davesoilchange.com/oil-and-additive-for-turbo-engine-cars/. I have been using it for over 6 years now.

Daryl, you live in New York but do not drive in cold weather? Do you store your car for the entire Winter?

I advise that even if you drive it only during warmer months that you use oil of viscosity listed in your owner's manual. Does it list 15W-40 as an optional oil viscosity? I would be surprised if it does.

7 hours ago, RX400h said:

Daryl, you live in New York but do not drive in cold weather? Do you store your car for the entire Winter?

I advise that even if you drive it only during warmer months that you use oil of viscosity listed in your owner's manual. Does it list 15W-40 as an optional oil viscosity? I would be surprised if it does.

Maybe he rides his motorcycle all winter? Maybe he's actually ole Chris Kringle and winters at the north pole. Pre December 25 at the toy factory, post December 25 sitting on a hot water bottle while picking reign deer turds from his beard? 

I did (once or twice) ride my motorcycle during the Winter in Connecticut. Fear is when you're rounding a corner at high speed and see ice patches on the road.
Then there was the time while riding back home from the beach during a hot summer day when I rode directly into a hail storm at 70 MPH. I was 25 years old with no helmet, no shirt, and shorts. 
No, I no longer have a motorcycle. 😄