Intermittent Noise

Have a 2013 RX450h with 90,000 miles. Just started noticing two sounds. Both are relatively minor, but slightly bothersome. Noise #1 is a very "small fan like" sound coming from behind (inside) the radio/cd player. Lexus says there is actually a small fan back there and maybe one of the bearings is bad? I can live with it because the ambient normal driving noise pretty much drowns it out, but when in a quiet garage (motor not running because its a hybrid) I notice it.

Noise #2 is a more distinct "servo motor" sound that seems to come from below and under the steering wheel. This one lasts for a second, then stops for about 10 seconds, then occurs again...repeat. Almost like the sound of the motor that controls the seat position, except its trying" the find the right setting" and keeps switching on and off every ten seconds or so.

Either of these sound familiar to anyone and if so , any fix for them?

Noise #1 might be the HVAC system fan.  They sometimes wear out or debris gets in contact with the fan blades.  I think it was loose duct insulation that once contacted the HVAC fan blades on my first LS around 25 years ago and made some irritating noise.  A tech quickly extracted the debris.  HVAC fans usually aren't terribly difficult to replace if they fail. 

Noise #2 might be a servo driven HVAC duct flap opening or closing or maybe retrying to open or close due to its movement being inhibited.

Is this vehicle new to you?  Some of these HVAC servos sometimes open and close flaps a LOT in normal operation - over and over and over.  

Not entirely new. We had the exact same model (2011) and traded for a 2013. I never noticed it previously until pulled into garage and motor shut down. Sound is so minor its probably just me obsessing over it. I do notice that the lighting for the CD player stays lit even after shutting off car until headlamps go out, then they go out too. Could be just normal operation.

The on/off servo sound is more distinct. Hard to pinpoint location. At first I thought it might be the cd player searching for a disc, but we have never used it. 

I'll spend some dedicated time trying to re-create and report back. Regardless, I do now I'm not paying to have the dash pulled out. Not worth the cost.

On 10/27/2020 at 11:07 AM, nc_skyman said:

Have a 2013 RX450h with 90,000 miles. Just started noticing two sounds. Both are relatively minor, but slightly bothersome. Noise #1 is a very "small fan like" sound coming from behind (inside) the radio/cd player. Lexus says there is actually a small fan back there and maybe one of the bearings is bad? I can live with it because the ambient normal driving noise pretty much drowns it out, but when in a quiet garage (motor not running because its a hybrid) I notice it.

Noise #2 is a more distinct "servo motor" sound that seems to come from below and under the steering wheel. This one lasts for a second, then stops for about 10 seconds, then occurs again...repeat. Almost like the sound of the motor that controls the seat position, except its trying" the find the right setting" and keeps switching on and off every ten seconds or so.

Either of these sound familiar to anyone and if so , any fix for them?

Depends which one. There are  two of them: main and left side HVAC. The left side actuator easy to reach, it is on the left side behind the center console, holds with three screws. Cost $30-$50. But main one is much more expensive and located behind  the dash very deep. I did not deal with this one. Remove the easiest one, dont disconnect the cable, and see if it shakes while you adjusting the temperature on the climate control.