Side rear window broken sunshade hooks solution

cablemn

I succeeded in fabricating just the hooks for the side rear window sunshades.

i used 3D printing technology.  It seems you can just buy new hooks from lexus without purchasing 

the entire garnish which costs about $200 per side. A pretty hefty repair cost just to replace a plastic hook.

Heres a couple pics... the 3D copy is the grey one in the pictures. Lemme know what you think. All i have to do now is drill a couple small holes for the screws.

20201015_193613.jpg

20201015_193533.jpg

20201015_193601.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Great CABLEMN!!  Well Done!   

Kudos on getting it done via 3D Printer.. I thought the same path w/could be the solution.. seeing that there is no other source.  THANK YOU! 

I'd gladly help defray some of your costs if I can get a couple for my 2003 LS 430 Black Beauty Baby!  

Thanks!  

Elizabeth 

I did something similar to replace broken slides for a rear door window. I reverse-engineered the part while guessing the length of the broken-off section. Once I had the 3D-printed parts in my hands I shortened that section to fit. 
Another option to manually measuring the part is to have it 3D scanned. Sometimes that is the best way to ensure an exact fit.

• 2 weeks later...

Love the DIY and smart solution to such a common issue.  Are you selling these anywhere, or is the 3D part published online?

We have the same year car as well.

Cheers, -Ian

• 10 months later...