looking to buy 2004 RX 330 115k

I am looking at purchasing a 2004 RX 330 and went to check it out today; the A/C was on but when I tried to adjust both sides, the buttons moved freely and did nothing. It is set at 75, but I would like to adjust the amount of airflow. The buttons did not seem in contact with the system. I asked the owner how I would put the heat on and he said just turn off A/C which made no sense; I live in Florida, and two months out of the year it gets chilly and would like heat.

Another issue was the Navigation system would not come on and we couldn't get it to even see a map. He said I just need to buy a disc to have it upgraded, but I would think you would at least be able to switch to any map. The date and time button looked like it needed to be set or I hit a button by accident 

The reverse screen is dark and faded, making it hard to read words or see while going backwards. To make it worse, the driver side mirror was all clouded in a brown film, making it unusable to see clearly. 

I also noticed when searching for a local radio station it would not come in very clear, maybe for 30 seconds, and then sounded out of range.  

Its a 2004 RX with 114k miles and I have the Carfax which looks good. He wants 6400 for the car and it is in good shape, but I thought the rearview camera and navigation was working. It also does not have a Bluetooth interface, which I thought was standard.

Do you think the complete unit needs to be replaced, what's the average cost and your opinion?

I really appreciate any direction or feedback, plus I am looking through the carfax and don't see the timing belt or water pump being replaced unless it's under a service that is standard that I couldn't find. 114k I heard it's important, expensive, and necessary.

Sorry for dumping this on you, but with all your knowledge I wanted to get one from a professional.

I forgot I went to lower the passenger side window from the driver's seat and it didn't move, I tried lowering it from the passenger side and it made a buzzing noise.

thanks again, Steve 

stevenmenzel@hotmail.com

Hello, Steve. Would it be possible for you to take it to a dealership for a complete checkup? I know that there is cost involved but it could save you hundreds, if not thousands of dollars. 
However, based upon your very detailed descriptions I would recommend that you look elsewhere. As an example, our 2006 RX400h (purchased in April of 2005) has over 130,000 miles on its odometer. Our timing belt service ( believe at 90,000 miles), coolant change, sparkplugs (at 120,000 miles), and brake services have been done.

Our NAV, backup camera, HVAC system, and everything else works perfectly.

Best regards,

Dave 

I agree, I did get some feedback from a guy who said 

Hi @Steven M, Hopefully I can help you a little bit. To me everything that you were describing sounds like it probably needs a complete radio unit/gps/climate control. These can be had relatively cheap however you can start to kind of open a can of worms if that doesn't fix your issue it could be other underlying issues as well. It's hard to say without looking at it as to what the issue(s) could be. That's my best guess from your description. As far as the window goes. If it rolls down on the passenger side via the passenger side window switch but does not roll down via the driver's side master switch, then chances are that means the driver side window switch is bad. Those can get pretty pricey because they are known to have issues. If it were me I would maybe look for another one even with a little bit higher miles on it if it has been serviced, especially Lexus serviced its whole life it should make you a really good vehicle. Good luck on your search! If you have any other questions feel free to message me. Please consider liking the video and subscribing to the channel.

I did a price analysis and the Unit for the radio unit/gps/climate control is on Ebay for 598.97 without installation cost, I noticed a video on youtube but I am not mechanically inclined. The cost on the passenger door average cost for a Lexus RX330 window regulator replacement is between $323 and $346.

Driver Side-View Mirror,  Somewhere the seal was broken and the fluid which is used to defrost the mirror is leaking or has been compromised. The local dealer would like to charge me $585 for a repair..

If the timing belt and water pump need replacing the cost is Water Pump is 1200.to 1700 Dollars, and the Timing Belt Cost 1200. 

I did get the car fax showing a lot of maintanence, but I did a calculation of 4,246. dollars without the labor cost of radio/AC switch and gps.
What should I tell him if he wants 6200. 

Perhaps you should suggest that he have everything fixed completely and then charge you the average private seller selling price, you will more seriously consider his offer.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2020 at 11:08 PM, menz rx330 looking at used said:
I am looking at purchasing a 2004 RX 330 and went to check it out today; the A/C was on but when I tried to adjust both sides, the buttons moved freely and did nothing. It is set at 75, but I would like to adjust the amount of airflow. The buttons did not seem in contact with the system. I asked the owner how I would put the heat on and he said just turn off A/C which made no sense; I live in Florida, and two months out of the year it gets chilly and would like heat.

Another issue was the Navigation system would not come on and we couldn't get it to even see a map. He said I just need to buy a disc to have it upgraded, but I would think you would at least be able to switch to any map. The date and time button looked like it needed to be set or I hit a button by accident 

The reverse screen is dark and faded, making it hard to read words or see while going backwards. To make it worse, the driver side mirror was all clouded in a brown film, making it unusable to see clearly. 

I also noticed when searching for a local radio station it would not come in very clear, maybe for 30 seconds, and then sounded out of range.  

Its a 2004 RX with 114k miles and I have the Carfax which looks good. He wants 6400 for the car and it is in good shape, but I thought the rearview camera and navigation was working. It also does not have a Bluetooth interface, which I thought was standard.

Do you think the complete unit needs to be replaced, what's the average cost and your opinion?

I really appreciate any direction or feedback, plus I am looking through the carfax and don't see the timing belt or water pump being replaced unless it's under a service that is standard that I couldn't find. 114k I heard it's important, expensive, and necessary.

Sorry for dumping this on you, but with all your knowledge I wanted to get one from a professional.

I forgot I went to lower the passenger side window from the driver's seat and it didn't move, I tried lowering it from the passenger side and it made a buzzing noise.

thanks again, Steve 

stevenmenzel@hotmail.com

2004 doesn't have bluetooth interface.You might need to disconnect the minus cable from the battery terminal wait a minute and reconnect it back. Than open/close each door window  by their switch to activate main, driver side switches. At this time all the systems will reset and you will see if  problems still or gone. Navigation is not gonna show you anything before you insert the disc. It doesn't have an internal memory. If after reset all  problems still exist let him fix them or go down with the price.