Tranny Symptoms

Hey guys... what are some symptoms of a tranny on its way out? I don't have any rough shifting or gear slipping (or delays for that matter). The thing that made me think about this is that today I was driving through a really quiet part of my subdivision with the stereo off and I heard a very tiny high-pitched noise, sorta like a whine, but not that noticeable, when I accelerated. Now I have had the tranny go out on my old Grand Prix and I know what the planetary gears sound like when they are rubbing, but this didn't sound like that. Am I just paranoid? Is that just me over-analyzing the complex engine in this car? :rolleyes: I just brought it into the Toyo dealer for the 90k main. so I would assume they would have notified me of any potential problems, don't you think?

The Toyo dealer said my P.S. pump would need to be replaced soon because it was leaking. I should probably check the levels. You think that's what the whining noise is when I accelerate? How much does that cost to get fixed? Could the noise have anything to do with the water pump?

Sounds to me like (no pun intended :lol: ) you probably just have low steering fluid, if you know for a fact that your pump leaks. Easy fix, but only temporary. Oughtta get the pump fixed, shouldn't be too much. If you're a DIYer then you can buy the seal kit for the pump, but I wouldn't advise this if you don't have much experience workin on cars b/c we did it on our Land Cruiser and it was pretty tough to do...

Thanks a lot for the info guys. Without actually seeing the PS pump and water pump, would you say that they need to be replaced if the Toyo dealer said they do? I don't really want to spend the money on it right now, but if it needs to be done, then I will. Also, should I just add more PS fluid? And what kind?

I actually have this same problem on my 99 es 300, its very noticeable when i accelerate and the gear changes, it doesnt seem to be power steering because i would hear it just driving straight, i have also changed my tranny fluid and it doesnt seem to go away i would also like to know if there is any fix or if this is normal.

I find that the 1MZ engine is kind of "whiny" in and of itself under normal driving conditions. I notice that the high pitch whine increases as I accelerate, but I have always taken it as part of the background engine noise. I think it is easier to hear if the windows are down and if you are driving slower. It normally is drowned out by road noise. Driving by a barrier or other object (hedges, etc) that can reflect the sound back towards the car makes the sound more prevalent as well.

I would usually describe a PS problem as more of a squeal than a whine and it is usually much louder than the whiny noise. (i.e. you definitely know that something is wrong.) PS pump/fluid problems usually make a noise when you turn and not just driving straight. If the whining or squealing increases under acceleration, I wouldn't say that points to the PS pump unless you happen to always be turning when you hear the noise.

I am sure it is just characteristic of the engine, and that I am paranoid. :)

The steering does not make any squeal or whine when I turn, so it must not be that. I can't even here the noise if the windows are down; only very minorly when the windows are up. Like I said, it is probably just the engine and I am probably just over-analyzing it as usual. :) Thanks!