04 GX 470 Transfer Case

TSICU

Hello everyone, I’m new GX owner, and unfortunately I kind of regret it...

Long story short, I bought the vehicle from a used dealer, and it had a bad O-ring seal between the actuator and the T case. But, I did not discover this until about 400 miles later, I noticed grinding coming from the center console. I drained the T case and all that come out was a small about of oil and metal shavings. After filling it, it still made the grinding/ratcheting noise. The dealer owned up and fixed the leak, but told me not to worry about the noise. 

Fast forward about 3 months and the Lexus dealer wants $4600 to service the T case, and no local mechanics will work on it because it requires “specialty tools.”

At this point I feel stupid going back this late to the dealer and asking them to repair the issue they caused. However, there are after market kits available or used T cases ($200 and $2000 respectively). 

If you were in my shoes, what would you do? The truck is drivable, but I bought it because I wanted a bullet proof rig! 

I appreciate any help!

Buy a used one. Many online. Most are in good shape because not many of this vehicles are abused. 

Before installing on any cheap mechanic shop, purchase this seals that might leak and have you mechanic replace it.

Transfer case removal and instalation is not brain surgery. 

This are excellent suvs

• 1 month later...
57 minutes ago, TSICU said:

Shoot! That’s about what the dealer quoted to rebuild it. I ended up buying a used one from Benzeen Auto and swapped it at home. About $1500 total. Works great ever since!

Oh wow! That's a good deal.