Gas tank filling very slowly

Hi,

I have a 2008 RX350 that takes forever to fill the gas tank, no matter what gas station or pump we fill it with.  We can barely squeeze the filling nozzle to fill it.  If we do more than that, the pump handle continually clicks and stops the flow.  This has been going on for a pretty long time since we bought the vehicle used.  Any idea what could be causing this strange issue?

The fuel tank vent tube is clogged.  It allows displaced air to escape as the tank is filled.  Google something like "gas tank vent tube clogged".   Here is a link to one video about the problem but I don't know what type of vehicle it is or what the vent tube on an RX looks like:  

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the post.  I crawled under and found the juncture where the metal vent pipe meets the rubber hose section coming from the tank.  I took that apart and stuck a wire hanger about 2-1/2' up the metal pipe and about 1' down the rubber tube section.  There were no obstructions.  I ended up taking it to a ship that did some more analysis on it.  They think it's something on the gas tank and want to drop the tank (6hr labor- 3 hr each way) to look at the flapper valve.  Does that make sense?

4 hours ago, 400howner25 said:

Thank you for the post.  I crawled under and found the juncture where the metal vent pipe meets the rubber hose section coming from the tank.  I took that apart and stuck a wire hanger about 2-1/2' up the metal pipe and about 1' down the rubber tube section.  There were no obstructions.  I ended up taking it to a ship that did some more analysis on it.  They think it's something on the gas tank and want to drop the tank (6hr labor- 3 hr each way) to look at the flapper valve.  Does that make sense?

Not really.  Dropping the tank is the last resort and only very rarely necessary.  Try these steps first:  https://itstillruns.com/unstop-car-gas-tank-vent-12031310.html