98 ES300 vs 01 ES 300

Dear fellow Lexus owners, my 98 Lexus ES300 is such a great car, after a few years, I purchased what I thought was basically the same car, a 2001 Lexus ES300.  Then the troubles began.  The 01 Lexus has automatic dimming mirrors.  The driver side mirror began clouding up, a very expensive fix.  Since I bought a Lexus safety inspected used car, I contacted Lexus and they agreed to pay half the repair.  

The 01 runs halfway up on the temp gauge, while the 98 runs at 1/8.  I have to add water every few months with the 01.  

The heater fan on the 01 has an interference problem and sometimes makes loud noises.  Right now it doesn't work at all, and looks like I have to replace the fan.  

My 01 right passenger window regulator had to be replaced.    My 01 right passenger window switch had to be replaced.

The 01 seems to drain the battery when not run for a week or more.  

While the 98 with 225,000 miles on it, is still a great car, the 01 with 90,000 miles on it, is not so good.

Does anyone else own a 98 and/or an 01 Lexus ES300?  What is your experience?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

They both have different engines and transmissions and of course other things.  My '98 has been an angel as compared to my coworker's '01.  Coworker's trans needed to be fixed due to slipping gears.  Many complaints from my coworker.  I am to blame because I told my coworker that my '98 is perfect.  Did a research online and discovered that the '01 has more complaints than the '98.