Towing prep package after purchase on 2020 RX450HL?

We have a 2020 RX450HL which unfortunately doesn't having the towing prep package.

According to the owners manual they do not recommend any type of towing without the towing prep package.  We are thinking about getting a small teardrop trailer, but it seems inadvisable without the tow package.

Is there a way to get the towing prep package after purchase via Lexus?  Or is there an aftermarket option available?

Thanks,

Kevin

The towing prep package for the 2020 RX450h included the following at a retail price of $270:

HEAVY DUTY RADIATOR AND COOLING FAN
ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION OIL COOLERS

It would cost thousands of dollars to retrofit these components if you could find someone willing to do it which is doubtful.  The biggest problem is probably the engine oil cooler since the engine you have probably can't accept one without replacing major components.  On one particular Toyota model with a V6 engine, the estimated cost of adding just the engine oil cooler to a vehicle that didn't come with the tow prep package was over $2,500.

Normally a Lexus dealer would have to prove that towing a camper caused the failure of a warranted vehicle component but this is a case where the car maker offers a towing prep package and specifically states that vehicles that don't have the package are not designed for trailer towing.

My suggestion is to use a vehicle rated for towing.  Or buy a nice tent and don't keep any food in it if you're camping in bear country!  My wife and I used to do a lot of camping when we were (much) younger - a lot of wilderness backpacking and some campground tent camping from a car.  My wife's idea of camping these days is staying in a Holiday Inn Express. 

• 3 weeks later...

I custom ordered a 2020 RX 450h (not the “L” version).  NOTE:  I ordered the “F Sport” version.  During the ordering process (about18 months ago), I specifically asked about towing because I needed it.  The inventory manager at the dealer had a Lexus Master Mechanic come out and talk to me.  He indicated the 2020 450h did not need any additional package for towing. In fact, every time I go to the Lexus website to “design my own” 2020 450h F Sport, there is no option that appears to add a tow package; My tow load is not large:  I have a fiberglass tow-behind camper, which weighs 1,500 pounds fully loaded.  I’ve experienced no issues during my trips, although I’ve only been on a couple trips towing.  I hope my information helps.

AF70E6E1-E56C-4D8A-86BD-20DEC463AB88.jpeg

1 hour ago, NC2020 RX450h said:

I custom ordered a 2020 RX 450h (not the “L” version).  During the ordering process (about18 months ago), I specifically asked about towing because I needed it.  The inventory manager at the dealer had a Lexus Master Mechanic come out and talk to me.  He indicated the 2020 450h did not need any additional package for towing. In fact, every time I go to the Lexus website to “design my own” 2020 450h, there is no option that appears to add a tow package; My tow load is not large:  I have a fiberglass tow-behind camper, which weighs 1,500 pounds fully loaded.  I’ve experienced no issues during my trips, although I’ve only been on a couple trips towing.  I hope my information helps.

I don't know what kind of B.S. your supposed "Lexus Master Mechanic" laid on you or why you can't find the tow prep package online but I just now did a "build" of a 2-row 2020 RX450h and see the tow prep package as an option.  Here is a screen shot I just took.

2020 RX450h Tow Prep package.jpg

21 minutes ago, 1990LS400 said:

I don't know what kind of B.S. your supposed "Lexus Master Mechanic" laid on you or why you can't find the tow prep package online but I just now did a "build" of a 2-row 2020 RX450h and see the tow prep package as an option.  Here is a screen shot I just took.

2020 RX450h Tow Prep package.jpg

@ 1990SLS400:  My dealer’s Master Mechanic was accurate.  You are building a STANDARD 2020 450h.  I ordered a 2020 450h F Sport; the difference being “F SPORT”.  The F Sport model already includes the:  HEAVY-DUTY RADIATOR AND COOLING FAN AND ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION OIL COOLERS.  Try building the F Sport model, and you will not find a Tow Prep Package.

74DADA2D-A5B1-48CE-8750-2615C9D9C583.jpeg

1 minute ago, NC2020 RX450h said:

@ 1990SLS400:  My dealer’s Master Mechanic was accurate.  You are building a STANDARD 2020 450h.  I ordered a 2020 450h F Sport; the difference being “F SPORT”.  The F Sport model already includes the:  HEAVY-DUTY RADIATOR AND COOLING FAN AND ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION OIL COOLERS.  Try building the F Sport model, and you will not find a Tow Prep Package.

Why on earth did you not mention in your original post that you have an F-Sport if your were trying to make some kind of point?  Your original post is of no help to those who purchase the standard 2020 RX450h.  Get real, guy.

2 minutes ago, 1990LS400 said:

Why on earth did you not mention in your original post that you have an F-Sport if your were trying to make some kind of point?  Your original post is of no help to those who purchase the standard 2020 RX450h.  Get real, guy.

Well, Jim, Maybe it’s because you’re not driving a Lexus now?  🤷‍♂️ But instead, you’re Now driving a Toyota Sienna Limited with all options - the "Geezer Bus", according to your profile My initial reply to the author’s post was meant for him, and not Jim. 😂 

F3A8E4A8-D5A1-4F30-8CE1-9BCA5AEBD116.jpeg

• 3 months later...

NO factory or aftermarket trailer hitches available  for the RX450hL.  The spare tire that drops down from under the car is in the way.  Just had this experience when hitch installer thought the hitch for the 450h would work.  It won't.  Probably going to exchange hL for 450h with a towing package.  Had a 2013h with hitch installed that did great.  Wouldn't have bought hL if I had known about hitch issue--just assumed (wrongly) that it would work.