GX460 jack height issue

Pleease

A few months back had a right-rear blowout on my 2016 GX460 at expressway speed.  Got it to the right side of the road safely, parked on flat pavement, removed the jack from the rear door compartment and lowered the spare in textbook fashion - no problem.

Affixed the jack to the appropriate point, jacked the right rear to the maximum extent of the jack......aaand the tire never lost contact with the payment.  No way to take it off, and if I could've somehow forced it would never have gotten the spare on - not enough room.  It seemed that the suspension travel let the wheel drop all the way to the pavement despite the jack being maxed out.

Looked around for a random block of wood (etc.) to add some height, but nada.  Fortunately a fellow motorist rolled up with a jack that lifted higher, and I was out of there quickly.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Meant to ask the dealer about it, but slipped my mind at the next opportunity.

I don't have a GX but I can take a guess based what I know about the LX.

Does your GX have rear air suspension?  If it does, did you turn it off before jacking per the instructions in the GX owners manual?

Information about changing a flat tire starts on page 534 of the 2016 GX owners manual which you can view at https://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM60M73U/pdf/OM60M73U.pdf

The only other causes I can think about right now are non-standard wheel/tire size, the jack sinking into the shoulder, failure of the jack or the wrong jack.  The jack on the last LS I had failed and I bought a replacement ... which I forgot to give to the person who bought the car from me.

Thanks for your reply & suggestions.

No air suspension (not the top trim level), standard wheels & tires and pavement was as solid as could be; perfect conditions actually.  It was so weird, like mildly Twilight Zone-ish.

The guy who stopped & helped (so great!) seemed to be a real "car guy" - maybe a mechanic - and he was baffled too.  He had a hydraulic garage-type jack that rolls under the vehicle.

Think I'll ask the dealer to check it out/compare it to another GX jack's extended height.  If it's defective they should replace it under the CPO warranty.

In what way did your LS jack fail - not work at all or something else?

55 minutes ago, Pleease said:

In what way did your LS jack fail - not work at all or something else?

The large diameter, long screw on the scissors jack corroded while stored in the trunk over the years to the extent that the screw wouldn't rotate.

I assume you had your jack in the correct location.  The GX's designers could have made it easier.  Not many vehicles require crawling under them to place the jack.  

1 hour ago, 1990LS400 said:

The large diameter, long screw on the scissors jack corroded while stored in the trunk over the years to the extent that the screw wouldn't rotate.

I assume you had your jack in the correct location.  The GX's designers could have made it easier.  Not many vehicles require crawling under them to place the jack.  

Got ya - thanks.

The GX' jack point location isn't hard to reach from the side of the vehicle.  The other motorist rolled his jack under because of the type of jack he had.

Hi, I think GX460 has adjustable rear suspension. There must an "off" button near the height adjustment lever in the cabin - in particular, for when you need to jack up.