PLS HELP! What would you do if this were yours?

Hey All (sorry for the dissertation):

I was already aware that my car and cars like mine have issues with the control arms and considering the car is 12, I expected it.  Problem is, last week I was told by one Lexus repair shop (been using them for 15+ years) that only the front control arms were torn. I held off because of his costs. I had the car aligned that same day at a different shop and was told the alignment couldn’t be done properly because of the front control arms so I had them replaced. 

Speed up to today,  I went to a new shop beloved in my city that is owned by a Lexus Service Writer and Master Mechanic (not sure how much weight that truly holds). Thing is, I was informed that there are 8 control arms and all but two were torn. For them this is a $4400 job, alignment not included.

It would most likely be difficult for me to verify what the truth is because I don’t know what I’m looking for. To be honest I still don’t trust mechanics 100% so I’d really like to see this for myself. Especially with two different recommendations at two well known shops. Put simply,  I’m genuinely confused. They made it a point to tell me my brand new alignment and tire rotation might have been useless because it would most likely “fail” quickly and the tire tread wear would be terrible until I fixed those arms.  

I don’t hear or feel anything while driving. I’ve driven Lexus’ all my life. The alignment is great and we’re doing our best to work with the tires we have while keeping a close eye on everything. She drives like a yacht and is a thing of beauty. 

If this was your car, what would you do?

Thanks ahead of time! All the best! 

15 hours ago, muchachamala said:

Hey All (sorry for the dissertation):

I was already aware that my car and cars like mine have issues with the control arms and considering the car is 12, I expected it.  Problem is, last week I was told by one Lexus repair shop (been using them for 15+ years) that only the front control arms were torn. I held off because of his costs. I had the car aligned that same day at a different shop and was told the alignment couldn’t be done properly because of the front control arms so I had them replaced. 

Speed up to today,  I went to a new shop beloved in my city that is owned by a Lexus Service Writer and Master Mechanic (not sure how much weight that truly holds). Thing is, I was informed that there are 8 control arms and all but two were torn. For them this is a $4400 job, alignment not included.

It would most likely be difficult for me to verify what the truth is because I don’t know what I’m looking for. To be honest I still don’t trust mechanics 100% so I’d really like to see this for myself. Especially with two different recommendations at two well known shops. Put simply,  I’m genuinely confused. They made it a point to tell me my brand new alignment and tire rotation might have been useless because it would most likely “fail” quickly and the tire tread wear would be terrible until I fixed those arms.  

I don’t hear or feel anything while driving. I’ve driven Lexus’ all my life. The alignment is great and we’re doing our best to work with the tires we have while keeping a close eye on everything. She drives like a yacht and is a thing of beauty. 

If this was your car, what would you do?

Thanks ahead of time! All the best! 

I agree with the previous poster that the other Lexus forum is much more active but I'll give my input. I did this job on my 2007 460L. I replaced the 8 arms in the front of the car for less than $400 and a couple hours of time but I'm a DIY type and I do all the work on my cars short of engine of transmission work. I would suggest you look on Ebay for the control arms and find a different shop. This is not a difficult job and there's no way that they should be charging that much labor to do it. That price they quoted you is what an actual Lexus dealership would charge you for the job and they would be using OEM control arms. Either way it's highway robbery and they know it but because this issue has been well documented and overblown IMO they get to set the price. Most shops want to use their own parts and they frown on customers bringing their own parts for several reasons. Sometimes they use unless they get the parts from the actual dealer they buy aftermarket control arms just like you would but then they mark the price up. Also f they have to warranty the job they want to know that it was a good known part which they can't verify if you bring your own parts. There's no way I would pay over 2k for this job and even that is too much for me since I can do the work myself. 2k is if you can't DIY and have to take it to a shop.

These are the front lower arms that I just installed in October.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Lower-Control-Arm-Ball-Joint-Driver-Passenger-Kit-Set-4pc-for-Lexus-LS460/232704738601?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I did the  upper arms in 2018 and I purchased them directly from the Febest.us website and got all 4 for $80 but they no longer list them on the site. The have them on ebay but the price has went up dramatically.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Febest-Parts-for-Lexus-LS460/6030/bn_24521694

I would just get the front upper and lower from the same company that I posted in the first link. They have a lifetime warranty on the parts. If something were to changed you would still have to pay the shop to do the labor. No company is going to warranty the labor unless you got the parts from them and they did the labor.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Upper-Lower-Control-Arms-Ball-Joints-Sway-Links-for-Lexus-LS460-New/312999475896?hash=item48e038fab8:g:EsoAAOSwlztefaGn

• 2 months later...

I agree with #Sha4000 , buy the control arms and be patient and find another independent shop with a positive reputation combined with a willingness to be honest about doing the job. It’s not easy to find honest mechanics because they mostly don’t list prices. I’d buy them on eBay or some site. You can buy a whole set of 8 control arms for between $290-$800 depending on which you decide to buy. Labor may be 3 hours and could pay between $600-$1,100 for The entire job. I paid for my own control arms.

Most owners have said its overblown and it is and isn’t to me. The reliability of these control arms have been questionable but, the fix is overblown. You can just buy them yourself and don’t use the dealership. I’d get the alignment done at Lexus dealership to assure it’s done up to Lexus standards the same day you get your car back. The next day at latest even if you have to wait on the car. To avoid driving on new control arms without the alignment being done. 

Also my Lexus dealer confirmed all the control arms were installed so that helped. 

The way to look at it Is if you pay $600-$1,200 for the entire 8 control arms to be purchased and installed and have to do it again in say 5–10 years it’s still less than $4,400 at a Dealership or even the lowest I’ve heard dealers do this job at $3,500. 

Youll be fine. Lexus overall makes a quality car. The control arms and brake actuators are the main issues I’ve heard about and once done maybe a couple more issues but some have and some haven’t had issues. Cheaper fixing what we have to drive a engine/transmission with the ability to go 400,000 miles if we do oil and fluid changes and filters and belts, etc.!!