Catalytic converter replacement

Rolfjy18

I recently purchased a 1997 Lexus ls400 coach edition with 176k miles. As we were driving it home, the check engine light came on. We took it in to a shop that we've been going to for years and got a reading. They said it was the catylitic converters and that they needed to be replaced in order to pass inspection in Virginia. Since that shop only used brand new parts, each converter would cost around 2 grand. I started looking for cheaper alternatives and found some on rock auto and carparts.com for around $42-300 and was wondering if those would be a good idea to buy. Most of the ones I found had warranties so that would lessen the risk.

2 hours ago, Rolfjy18 said:

I recently purchased a 1997 Lexus ls400 coach edition with 176k miles. As we were driving it home, the check engine light came on. We took it in to a shop that we've been going to for years and got a reading. They said it was the catylitic converters and that they needed to be replaced in order to pass inspection in Virginia. Since that shop only used brand new parts, each converter would cost around 2 grand. I started looking for cheaper alternatives and found some on rock auto and carparts.com for around $42-300 and was wondering if those would be a good idea to buy. Most of the ones I found had warranties so that would lessen the risk.

Was the code P0420/P0430? If so these codes are usually generated when there's a leak at the Y pipe gasket where the converter and Y pipe connect. Easy and most cost effective fix it to get some exhaust paste and slather it all around the joint and let it dry, clear the codes and test it out. If the cats are really bad this will not work but 99% of the time the cats are good and this leak sets off the code. I've had those codes several times over the years and I just use the paste whenever they pop back up. This is a well known issue with these cars.