Disabling Drls

Hey guys,

I've never been a fan of the daytime running lights (DRLs) and would like to know if anyone knows a way of perminantly disabling them on the 02-04. I have the headlamp selection "DRL OFF" but this is seperate from the AUTO function which I would like to leave on. I know on GM vehicles this is a simple fuse pull.

Any ideas?

Hey guys,

I've never been a fan of the daytime running lights (DRLs) and would like to know if anyone knows a way of perminantly disabling them on the 02-04. I have the headlamp selection "DRL OFF" but this is seperate from the AUTO function which I would like to leave on. I know on GM vehicles this is a simple fuse pull.

Any ideas?

Hey Steve, don't take offense at what I say, but aren't the DRLs there for a safety reason? :blink: Personally I think it's great that most cars these days have this option, and I never really cared about how they "look". Plus, insurance companies love it when you have daytime running lights, thus lowering your premiums :D Some people inquired about changing the look of the DRLs, such as making them whiter or a different color, but that'll never work since they always operate at 50% of the wattage.

Anyway, just my $.02

I actually never use my drl's either but not because of the look really. I always have my light on full day or night.

I got hid's why not show them off. Never mind the few saftey courses i have taken make it much easy for your brain( mainly otehr peoples) to compreheand a moving vehicle when it is lit brighter than dimmer as well as compared to not at all.

Actually thats a common misconception, there is no insurance deduction for daytime running lights. There are actually only a couple insurance deductions, passive restraint is one. If Lexus was so concerned about the safety I wouldn't be able to turn them off with the switch, I just want it to operate in AUTO mode with the DRLs off.

I'll check the relay Sharad, thanks!

no problem

they have been law since 1990 in Canada

not sure about the states if it is law or not.

another way is to ground the wire that goes from the e brake to the controller as it wil also shut it down as it thinks you are not moving.

Not that I would disable this feature, but I just took a look at the link for,"#09 DIY Disable Day Time Running light (3 min mod) (11/1/02)", but it's not a link. :rolleyes: Where is the description of how it's done?

you know, after I posted I was curious and clicked on that supposed link.

no luck either. one of two on that site that appear to be but aren't.

SW03ES, BananaGS is a freqeunt poster on CL. I could contact him via CL if you wish. But his website should have a way to contact him.

let me know.

steviej