Is the trunk supposed to raise?

onedadinseattle

1998 LS400:

This will seem like a trivial issue, but my wife is slightly disabled and I'd love to fix this problem for her birthday.

When we push the trunk release button, the lid just barely pops up, instead of opening fully like every other car I can remember using since the 1970s.  We had a mechanic replace the gas struts, and now it's even harder to open than it was before.  

Is there a fix for this, or is it just how it's designed to work?  The car has so many unnecessary features, I'm confused how they could overlook this.

it 

On 2/12/2020 at 5:01 PM, onedadinseattle said:

1998 LS400:

This will seem like a trivial issue, but my wife is slightly disabled and I'd love to fix this problem for her birthday.

When we push the trunk release button, the lid just barely pops up, instead of opening fully like every other car I can remember using since the 1970s.  We had a mechanic replace the gas struts, and now it's even harder to open than it was before.  

Is there a fix for this, or is it just how it's designed to work?  The car has so many unnecessary features, I'm confused how they could overlook this.

it does not raise it just pops open.