Catalytic Converter Replacement 1998-2000

DeLexus

I’m needing to replace my catalytic converters on my 98 LS with 177,000 miles. I’m a big advocate on repairing with only OEM Lexus parts but the price for the converters are insane at $1,500 a piece! I found some direct bolt catalytic converters for the car and was told they would work with problems. I just don’t want to end up having to regret by not using OEM but I don’t have $3,000 either. Has anyone had to replace their catalytic converters before and what kind did you use? Im curious also what mileage did your catalytic converters go out too.

Thanks!

19 hours ago, DeLexus said:

I’m needing to replace my catalytic converters on my 98 LS with 177,000 miles. I’m a big advocate on repairing with only OEM Lexus parts but the price for the converters are insane at $1,500 a piece! I found some direct bolt catalytic converters for the car and was told they would work with problems. I just don’t want to end up having to regret by not using OEM but I don’t have $3,000 either. Has anyone had to replace their catalytic converters before and what kind did you use? Im curious also what mileage did your catalytic converters go out too.

Thanks!

Why do you think your cats are bad? Are you getting the P0420/P0430 code?

On 1/31/2020 at 10:55 PM, DeLexus said:

Yes P0420 and dealer confirmed 

This 420/430 code usually pops up because of a leak at the catalytic converter flanges. This is a well documented issue. I get the code every once in a while and I just slather some exhaust paste on the flanges to seal up the leak and it usually makes the code go away. I've done this maybe twice in the past 5-6 years. The cats on these cars usually last the life of the car so I would not replace them unless you know for sure that is the real culprit and the dealer telling you that is not a confirmation in my book. Try my method and see what happens.

21 hours ago, DeLexus said:

I’m going to definitely look into that! Thanks for the insight.

Make sure to clear the code first and apply the exhaust paste when the car is cold. Give it some time to dry. Come back and let us know what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine went out at around 250k miles. It didn't throw the code yet but I heard clanking noise in one of them so I replace both with Bosal converters. Both still work fine after 50k miles. I could have lived with it but the noise bothered me.

• Thanks 1

Yes, definitely check the easy (cheap) stuff first.

I've had good luck with Magnafow on both my '87 Camaro and '87 Acura Legend.  I don't know if they offer "direct fit" units for the LS.

Sometimes with high mileage vehicles, something like degrading/degraded tune or oil consumption could be poisoning the converters as is the case with my +440k mile Legend.

You're lucky you live outside of CA which requires CARB certified replacements which only adds to the purchase price.

• 1 year later...

I am facing the same dilemma. The OEM converters are discontinued, and I have zero aftermarket parts on my car with over 10k of OEM parts and repairs on it. I have heard horror stories of aftermarket converters throwing codes on these cars and I am worried I might just have to sell it due to this and look for a LS 430.

I found a few online in Saudi Arabia for like $2000 a piece and I would consider buying if I was sure it wasn’t a scam which I’m probably sure it is