Es300h terrible gas mileage

Carleton

Hello everybody! I just traded in my 2012 ct200h for a 2013 es300h. The problem is, I was expecting similar gas mileage but my es300h won't yield over 30mpg.  The car should get 40mpg combined.  

To start, I drive the car very gingerly, I try to keep the needle from ever going into the "power" zone. I over inflated the tires to 40psi. I do live in Wisconsin and the weather is in the 20's but that never affected my ct200h, I was regularly getting over 40mpg.

Is there an issue with my car? What can I do to get better gas mileage? 

EPA fuel economy estimates for the 2012 CT200h are:  43/40/42 mpg (city/highway/combined)

EPA fuel economy estimates for the 2013 ES300h are:  40/39/40 mpg (city/highway/combined)

Maybe the traction battery in the ES300h is getting weak as it ages and causing to ICE to run more than it did when the battery was stronger.  Maybe the ICE in the ES300h has to run more to heat the interior.  The ES300h is a lot heavier (3,660 lb) than a CT200h (3,146 lb) and the EPA testing cycle doesn't necessarily take that into account.  It's unusual for a vehicle to get EPA rating fuel economy in real world driving.

Not many people on the "fuelly" website are getting 40 mpg combined in a 2013 ES300h - take a look for yourself:  http://www.fuelly.com/car/lexus/es300h/2013   One has to remember that many people who use the fuelly website are trying hard to get good fuel mileage and using driving techniques not acceptable to most drivers.

Our 2012 Prius v has the same hybrid drive train as the 2012 CT200h and weighs about 125 pounds more.  It been getting from 33 to 36 mpg the last few tank fulls in city street only driving.  It's EPA rating is 44/40/42 (city/highway/combined).  33 to 36 mpg is a long way from the EPA city rating of 44 mpg.

Cars often don't get as good fuel economy on winter blend gasoline.

Unless you are desperate to same money on fuel, I suggest you reduce the tire pressure to a reasonable level and at least be comfortable.

So is there anything I can do, or do I just have to live with getting 28mpg? The car only has 50k miles, could it really be the traction battery already? And if so, would that be covered by warranty? 

15 hours ago, Carleton said:

So is there anything I can do, or do I just have to live with getting 28mpg? The car only has 50k miles, could it really be the traction battery already? And if so, would that be covered by warranty? 

I suppose you could have a Lexus dealer evaluate your car's drive train "health".  Even if the traction battery is declining prematurely, my understanding is that has to be pretty much dead to get any warranty coverage on it.

Did your ES come with low rolling resistance tires and, if so, is that the type of tire you are using now?  I didn't mention a reason for our Prius decline in fuel economy is that we have stopped using LRR tires on it due to their punishing ride and poor traction.  Having Blizzak winter tires on it currently certainly isn't helping fuel economy.

Is the ICE obviously running most of the time?  Does the ICE shut off when stopped in traffic and when driving down hills?  Does the traction battery charging level gauge stay at a low level?  Are you doing much stop and go driving that would cause regenerative braking to happen? 

Perhaps you could sign up on the fuelly website and track your fuel usage there.