Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Intake issue....P2017, P0020, P0193 codes after engine swap

Car symptoms:
1. Won't start on initial start up. 
2. Have to use minimal acceleration to accelerate the car, otherwise car will shake and slow down at 10mph, the again at 35mph then again at 62mph. 
3. Won't accelerate past 62mph.
4. In park, car won't go above 2.5 rpms and  engine revving will "jump"
5. Check engine light,  Vsc light is on. (Brake light and ABS light is on too but due to improper installation of wheel bearings or non reset of ABS system after installation not engine related.)

20191231_095105.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By TreyA123
      Just wanting some opinions and maybe intake names and examples. I would like to get one very soon here and I'd like to know which ones people have gotten and how well they have worked for you. As well as installation troubles or ease. Thanks!
    • By Andres11315
      Please answer if you only know and don't guess guys.
      My car was making a ticking noise and most people told me it was a valve adjustment so I start doing it.
      The car feels great and dont have a engine light on.
      I am a Novice Mechanic
      whoever owned this car
      before me did not change the oil enough so there is a lot of carbon
      deposits around that valve area. We are going to do an engine flush to
      try and clear out whatever has built up inside. there was a good amount of carbon deposit in top and around this particular shim.

One of my valves gave me a clearance gap (when measuring
      the shims with the feeler gauge) way out of range. The clearance range
      was between 0.006-0.010, but we measured it at 0.056. The bucket that
      holds this shim can be moved slightly up and down, so we belive the
      problem is the spring (none of the other buckets move this way). We dont
      want to change the spring because of a lack of expertise. We were
      thinking of getting the thickest shim that Lexus offers, just to make
      the gap smaller, but it would still be way out of range from what it
      should be. Would you recommend getting a thicker shim made to reduce the
      gap, or should we just get the thickest one from Lexus? Or just put
      another one around the normal size and hope is dirty and after an engine
      flush the spring will work normal.

I dont know if the spring is old and dont have that much strenght. Or just dirty
      I don't want to put a thick shim from lexus 0.1299 and then the spring work and it will have barely any valve cleareance and mess up my engine or make the spring break and find a new engine.

Thank you for your time and help. I greatly appreciate it!
    • By Andres11315
      Please answer if you only know and don't guess guys.
      My car was making a ticking noise and most people told me it was a valve adjustment so I start doing it.
      The car feels great and dont have a engine light on.
      I am a Novice Mechanic
      whoever owned this car
      before me did not change the oil enough so there is a lot of carbon
      deposits around that valve area. We are going to do an engine flush to
      try and clear out whatever has built up inside. there was a good amount of carbon deposit in top and around this particular shim.

One of my valves gave me a clearance gap (when measuring
      the shims with the feeler gauge) way out of range. The clearance range
      was between 0.006-0.010, but we measured it at 0.056. The bucket that
      holds this shim can be moved slightly up and down, so we belive the
      problem is the spring (none of the other buckets move this way). We dont
      want to change the spring because of a lack of expertise. We were
      thinking of getting the thickest shim that Lexus offers, just to make
      the gap smaller, but it would still be way out of range from what it
      should be. Would you recommend getting a thicker shim made to reduce the
      gap, or should we just get the thickest one from Lexus? Or just put
      another one around the normal size and hope is dirty and after an engine
      flush the spring will work normal.

I dont know if the spring is old and dont have that much strenght. Or just dirty
      I don't want to put a thick shim from lexus 0.1299 and then the spring work and it will have barely any valve cleareance and mess up my engine or make the spring break and find a new engine.

Thank you for your time and help. I greatly appreciate it!
    • By EmmDot
      Hi All! I have been a long time owner of the GS 300 (98, 02 and now 06). Over the past few weeks, I have test-drove several cars in an effort to find my wife a new vehicle. After test-driving a newer 5 Series, it got me thinking about doing some performance mods to my car. I have about 2-years left before I upgrade to the new GS and if I can do a few things to recreate that initial excitement of driving a new car… some performance upgrades might be worth it. I have never really done any mods to my cars with the exception of rims and tires. I don’t want to try and turn me GS into a BMW and I don’t expected to get a 50 HP gain and I certainly don’t want my GS to sound like a Harley. I would just like to get my Gs a bit more punch with a strong quite sound.

I have between $1000 - $1500 to reinvigorate my GS. My thoughts were to install a (true) cold air
      intake and new exhaust system. Finding recommendations, however, is a bit more difficult then I expected... I can't seem to find any definitive info for upgrades on my Gs. I have read tons of forums, review, posts, etc.... and for some reason the 2006 GS 300 doesn't seem to have much available in terms of intakes and other mods (mostly intakes thou). I have found tons of info for other GS years and models but the 06' GS 300 seem to be a bit of a black hole…

So with all that being said… Can you guys provide me some input or point me in the right direction. I am curious to know if maybe parts from another year / model GS will work on the 06’ 300? Is there anyone out there who has done some similar things to their 06’ GS 300? And finally…do my thoughts of doing intake and exhaust even make sense or are there other things I should be considering?

I apologize if these seem like dumb questions but i am sort of stuck at this point… Thanks in advance for any input you provide!!!!

• By Steve0
      I recently bought an immaculately clean 1999 lexus es300 with only 73k miles. The car is already got quite a bit of pickup compared to my 1998 ford expedition that i just sold, but i want to make it faster. Ive looked for performance parts for the car, but there doesnt seem to be too many parts. I found a "Secret Weapon" cold air intake for a little over 200 bucks, and an exhaust system, but finding headers and possibly a supercharger seem to be non-existant. My question is, are there any other things i could do to make my stock car faster?