Key Fob locking doors but not unlocking doors

Helpermunkey

782470179_IMG_07982.thumb.JPG.4c090a5f2609c7d2e537d42bacde1400.JPGIMG_0429.thumb.JPG.b10effe4efce7838a1276d0f47c775cb.JPG

Just bought a 1997 LS400 last night. As I am about to drive away, the (private) seller tells me that the batteries in both remotes are dead and need to be replaced. I drove straight to Walmart to buy batteries and installed them in while still in Walmart. As I am coming out of the store and still quite a distance from the car I hit the lock button and I heard a beep and saw the headlights flash. When I got to the car I pushed the unlock button and nothing happened. I unlocked it with the key and got in. I tried the trunk button and it unlocked the trunk. The remotes work from quite a distance to lock the doors and unlock the trunk. Both remotes are doing the same thing. They both Lock the car and they both unlock the trunk but when I press the unlock button for the doors nothing happens with either remote. No beep, no lights no sounds from the locking mechanism in the doors, nothing.

I have read threads where people say theirs lock the doors but will not unlock the doors but they also say that theirs does not unlock the trunk. Also in those threads even though the problem is slightly different I have yet to see where anyone has resolved their issue.

I have tried reprograming the remotes and the issue remains unchanged.

Contacted the seller who said he did not use the remotes very often, he preferred using the key to lock and unlock, that is why he did not replace the batteries when they wore out, however, he "thinks" all the functions worked the last time he did use the remotes.

Any help or suggestions?

Thank you

IMG_0798 2.JPG

That is what I am beginning to think as well.  I think i am going to order one remote and if that one unlocks I’ll order a second one.  I’ll let y’all know if the new remote works one it arrives.  Any recommendations as to where to order a remote?

• 4 weeks later...

So I remembered reading on another thread that sometimes disconnecting the positive battery cable, waiting 30 seconds and reconnecting the battery cable can reset the remote unlocking system.  I did not think that this would work but out of desperation decided to give it a try.  I did this today and it completely resolved my problem.   Now the lock, unlock and trunk button are all working properly.  Thanks for everyones input and suggestions.

• 7 months later...

I am having a similar problem with my 98 Lexus ES300.  Up until last month, the remote locking/unlocking feature worked fine. 

Now, My 98 Lexus ES300 is no longer locking using the remote key fob.  I have checked the coin battery in the fob, and changed it, to no effect.  

Has anyone else had this problem?

Does anyone know the best place to stand to lock the doors remotely? 

Dear fellow Lexus owners, Disconnecting the Positive Battery  Cable on my 98 Lexus ES300 doesn't work.  It had no effect.  The key fob still won't lock or unlock the car.

Does anyone have another idea?

JC 

On 12/11/2019 at 5:55 PM, Helpermunkey said:

782470179_IMG_07982.thumb.JPG.4c090a5f2609c7d2e537d42bacde1400.JPGIMG_0429.thumb.JPG.b10effe4efce7838a1276d0f47c775cb.JPG

Just bought a 1997 LS400 last night. As I am about to drive away, the (private) seller tells me that the batteries in both remotes are dead and need to be replaced. I drove straight to Walmart to buy batteries and installed them in while still in Walmart. As I am coming out of the store and still quite a distance from the car I hit the lock button and I heard a beep and saw the headlights flash. When I got to the car I pushed the unlock button and nothing happened. I unlocked it with the key and got in. I tried the trunk button and it unlocked the trunk. The remotes work from quite a distance to lock the doors and unlock the trunk. Both remotes are doing the same thing. They both Lock the car and they both unlock the trunk but when I press the unlock button for the doors nothing happens with either remote. No beep, no lights no sounds from the locking mechanism in the doors, nothing.

I have read threads where people say theirs lock the doors but will not unlock the doors but they also say that theirs does not unlock the trunk. Also in those threads even though the problem is slightly different I have yet to see where anyone has resolved their issue.

I have tried reprograming the remotes and the issue remains unchanged.

Contacted the seller who said he did not use the remotes very often, he preferred using the key to lock and unlock, that is why he did not replace the batteries when they wore out, however, he "thinks" all the functions worked the last time he did use the remotes.

Any help or suggestions?

Thank you

IMG_0798 2.JPG

Given:

1. The car starts.
  2. 2/3-rds of the keyless entry function works.
  3. 2/3-rds function is the same for both keys

I would say that what ever controls the keyless entry that's inside the vehicle - body control module or door lock module is most likely at fault.

5 hours ago, coppens1 said:

Dear fellow Lexus owners, Disconnecting the Positive Battery  Cable on my 98 Lexus ES300 doesn't work.  It had no effect.  The key fob still won't lock or unlock the car.

Does anyone have another idea?

JC 

Make sure that you're using the correct transponder/keyless entry instructions.  1998 - x model years use a different set if programming instructions.  However, I don't know if this change affects the ES models.

According to the 1998 LS400 FSM, to check the remote operation, stand 1-meter away from the driver's side door, point the key blade towards the door handle and press the button.  The door lock operates and the FOB LED lights up more than once.