Considering undercoating 2019 GX 460

rfcbuf

Salty roads during  Buffalo,N.Y. winters are a fact of life. I have it washed at a drive thru auto wash weekly and now considering  spray undercoating the vehicle at a local shop. Is this a good idea or will the undercoating process clog the normal water draining passages on the GX body.and cause other rust issues. Any other North Eastern U.S GX owners have any comments whether undercoating is a good idea?? 

Joining the question.

For what it's worth, my knowledge is:

* I have similar (or worse) weather conditions in my place (google "Sakhalin" in Russia, just north of Japan).  

* All official dealers in my place offer the undercoating. At a very high price, as you could imagine. But I know no one who has opted for it. 

All I know from the pre-owned cars experience on the matter:

* if the car has been operated in a rusty environment, you'd inspect / see it firstly from its (rusty) underbelly.

* if you are considering the undercoating but your underbelly already has signs of rust. => Two choices.

** One, you have to remove all the rust altogether and then do the undercoating. (Another expensive procedure).

** Or you just forget about it (as long as you're going to sell your car within next 3-5 years).

Does this answer your question?

• 3 years later...

I am a big believer in undercoating.  But I do it myself.  I use Fluid Film and rust check and a cheap generic brand.  And I put lots on the vehicle and I do it every year basically.  Best to do it in the heat of the summer and this allows the coating to flow.  BUT this makes a h3lla mess of your vehicle and it seeps all over the vehicle so would need to be wiped off outer painted surfaces.

You could drill little holes all over the interior of the vehicle and this works up to a point.  Or you could remove all or most of the plastic and coat in behind it and reinstall the plastic.  Basically this undercoating will stay in place for year after this is done, protecting this area of the vehicle that would otherwise be unprotected.  

I could go on and on about this topic.  My experience is if you want it done right you have to do it yourself.