Google maps voice navigation not playing on car speakers

Npahlavan

2019 ES350, looked all through the menu options and Google troubleshooting. I can't figure it out. My phone will speak during navigation but when Bluetooth connects to Lexus, navigation is silent. I have an Android. Is the car not capable?

This question has been asked many times on car forums.  An Android phone's media audio must be connected to the vehicle in-dash system and the audio of the in-dash system must be set on Bluetooth in order to hear Google Maps voice instructions through the car speakers.  Unfortunately, it is not possible to listen to radio stations while doing that.  It's just the way it works.

A workaround I've used is to connect my Android phone's media audio to a small aftermarket portable Bluetooth speaker.  When I do that, I can listen to radio on the in-dash system while hearing the Google Maps voice instructions on the portable speaker.

This issue was resolved when the 2020 ES got Android Auto.  It would be wonderful if Toyota/Lexus would retrofit Android Auto to previous model year vehicles that have the Linux based in-dash system like it did when it retrofitted Apple CarPlay but I don't know if that will happen.