Ls 430 Trailer Hitch

bam43

I noticed today that trailer hitches have become available for the LS430 from names like

Da'Lan Incorporated: http://www.etrailer.com/products.asp?model...amp;t1=&h=e

and Curt Manufacturing: http://www.hitchsource.com/docs/cu/12231.pdf

Maybe they have been available all along but I noticed in the past that the LS430 was omitted on hitch suppliers websites.

Here are photos of the Draw-Tite hitch that was installed in June 2006 on our 2000 LS400.

post-2157-1153067890_thumb.jpg

post-2157-1153067950_thumb.jpg

post-2157-1153068313_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...
I have a 2004 LS430 and need to tow a trailer. Has anyone put a hitch on this model car? How does it tow?

i have had trailer hitch on my last 3 lexus, a 400 and 2 430's, i pull 1500 lbs of 2 harleys 3000 miles to sturgis and back like a dream, go for it.

I would not tow a trailer with your LS430. Its not designed to tow one. Aside from being very hard on the transmission you could actually wind up bending the frame because it is not reinforced to handle the load, also causes premature wear of the rear struts and differential. Big time bad idea. As a matter of fact I believe installation of trailer hitches to Lexus cars void the warranty but I'd have to double check that.

If you must tow a trailer you picked the wrong vehicle, sorry :(

not true, tows 2 HD's like a dream

• 2 months later...

HI Titan,

I just posted same question, looking for a hitch for my 2002 LS430. Have you installed your hitch yet? How does it work? Do you have any pictures of it installed?

I have a 2004 LS430 and need to tow a trailer. Has anyone put a hitch on this model car? How does it tow?

Hi 1990LS400,

I tried to go the the UK link but can't get there. Want to install a trailer hitch on my 2002 LS430. Do you have any more info on what's avaialbe in the UK?

Nauset Dog

Here is a link to the official U.K. Lexus website which documents that a 2004 LS430 is rated to tow 2000 kg. - a whopping 4,410 pounds! -->

http://www.lexus.co.uk/specification.php?m...a=specification

The U.S. LS is rated at towing only 2000 pounds without additional accessories like a transmission cooler. All three of my LS owners manuals (90, 94, 00) and our Camry manual contain identical disclaimers about how towing can increase wear, effect fuel mileage, etc. Similar disclaimers are in the owners manuals of many if not most cars and SUV's sold in the U.S.

My 2000 LS manual has 2 1/2 pages devoted to the subject of trailer towing. My 94 LS U.K./Euro spec manual goes so far as to provide extensive instructions on how to tow a trailer safely, how to calculate tongue weight, etc.

Maybe I have a different perspective because I have traveled extensively outside the U.S., am employed by a European (auto industry) company and know co-workers in other countries that drive Lexus LS cars. I also have 38 years of towing experience and for 11 years towed a 4 x 8 foot utiltity trailer and even a 2000 pound sailboat behind a 65 horsepower Mercedes diesel sedan without any problems. Last time I checked, that old '79 Mercedes diesel was still going strong at over 300,000 miles with its new owner - towing must not have hurt it much.

Take a look at this discussion of towbars on the UK Lexusownersclub website where you can find complaints that U.K. dealers are charging up to a 1,000 pounds to install a towing package on an LS430 -->

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...5&hl=towbar

• 2 years later...

The hitches used in the U.K. and much of the rest of the world are not compatible with U.S. trailers.

Yeah, the issue is the ball which is a little bigger here in the US. Some people just grind the ball down a little to make it fit. American ball is 51 MM and in Europe it is 50.08 I believe.

• 9 years later...

I have read all the comments and disputes about pulling a trailer with an LS. I am moving from CA to WV. I don't have a lot of furniture, but I do have a lot of boxes of crap I want to keep. I will be renting a U-Haul, 28 ft long, plus a trailer it will be pulling. I am curious, if all else fails, can I haul a trailer from CA to WV. The mountains will be the hardest on my Lexus. My Lexus is a 1990, under 90,000 miles. Great condition, I have keep it up on all checks. It will also receive a final check prior to leaving. I don't really want to pull a trailer with my Lexus, but if I have to, then I have no choice. How large of a trailer and how many pounds would be the limit without causing any harm/damage or stress to my Lexus. This is a one time situation, if required, hopefully not.