auxiliary 12 volt battery (battery which starts the car)

SRX

My 2011 RX450h has 40,000 miles on it.  The auxiliary  (battery that starts the car) battery is original.  Lexus service tests the battery at each service interval and the battery tests good.  Eight years is a long time for a battery to last.  As I understand it, the original battery is a glass based battery; not lead.  This type of battery usually last longer, but I do not want to wait for the battery to die and be left stranded.  Any of you with Lexus hybrids have any input regarding at what point you replaced the auxiliary (the one that starts the car) battery? Thanks!  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all: I have original 12V battery as well, and It still starts the vehicle just fine, except the headlights must be OFF. The radio will not operate past 5 seconds when vehicle is not turned on.

I ordered a new OEM Toyota battery on eBay, but it was damaged in transit. Bummer!

Any other sources for an OEM battery?

Appreciate your reply.  When I have the battery replaced, I'll most likely go to a Lexus dealership.  I have dealership coupons to lessen the cost a little.  I live in an area with multiple dealerships nearby; there is more than  a $100.00 cost variance between dealerships, so check around.  I did check with a very reliable independent auto repair shop in my area.  His pricing was about the same as my Lexus dealer.  So far, I have experienced none of the symptoms you describe with your headlights and radio.   

Does the RX hybrid work differently than Prius hybrids?  The battery that starts the ICE in our Prius is the traction battery and not the 12V battery.  A serviceable 12V battery is necessary to run the dashboard components including the radio and to trigger the traction battery to run the car in EV mode and to trigger the traction battery to start the ICE when necessary but power from the 12V battery does not actually start the ICE.

I replaced the 12V battery in our 2012 Prius v for the first time a few week ago with an OEM battery from a Toyota dealership.  My wife was in a hurry so I didn't wait for other battery suppliers to open to see if they had a 12V battery to fit the Prius.  I bought the new OEM battery at a Toyota dealership that participates in the Costco Auto Program at a 15% discount.  I later found that Batteries Plus has a 12V battery that fits our Prius but it wasn't much cheaper.  I just checked and saw that Batteries Plus has a 12V battery for the RX450h for $215.    

Thanks for your response to the 12 volt battery discussion.  You raise an interesting point; I honestly do not know if the RX450h twelve volt battery works on the same as in the Prius, but I will find out.  Since both vehicles are Toyotas, it seems likely they work on the same principle.  I'll also check if my dealership participates in the Costco Auto Program.  Again, appreciate your response.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, SRX said:

I'll also check if my dealership participates in the Costco Auto Program.

If you have a Costco membership, you can check to see if there are nearby participating Lexus dealers at https://www.costcoauto.com/parts_and_service/

The way the program works, you print the discount certificate and then take it to a participating dealership.

• 1 year later...