RX300 Bank1 too lean, bad smell; P0171

VTRUN

Hey Folks,

My wife drives a 99 RX300 with 225K. I have a code for bank 1 too lean.

Symptoms;

• knock 
  • horrible smell from the exhaust
  • studering with acceleration at 60 mph
  • rough ideling

I found two air leaks and it ran better but the code returned and after a tank of gas, the smell also returned with a sharp decline in fuel econemy.

Today I cleared the computer and I have a returned code but the smell is not present yet. 

The good;

• no air leaks
  • maf sensor working
  • catalytic converters seem to be good (lean code and smell is not consistant)
  • Fuel Filter, plugs done in the past 6 months
  • injectors cleaned 6 months ago

Does anyone have any ideas? Does anyone know which oxygen sensor is bank 1? I am going to replace that and see if we have improvement) 

Hi. How did you clear the computer? My 2002 RX300 had almost all of the symptoms of your wife's vehicle. I followed the advice of an RX300 owner and a Mercedes owner; disconnect battery for a full 24 hours; reconnect the battery, retune the radio and drive as fast as you are allowed (maybe 5mph over) for 25+ miles then turn around and do it again (return) until you attain at least 50 miles. My vehicle ran almost like new and the sensor lights haven't come back on...almost a year ago. FYI, Pepboys showed that I had a vacuum leak also. I also waited until an early Sunday morning to drive my 50+ miles, on a highway (you don'twant to do this in your neighborhoo), so I could go fast without interruptions. If you do this keep an eye on your AVG MPG Readout, if you have one; you'll be amazed at what you see. Anyway, this is what worked for me and others but, your wife will be without her vehicle for at least 24 hours.

Good Luck Sir.

Hey John,

That is so strange! I used Scotty Kilmer's method on Youtube for clearing the eco. I disconnected the battery, turned on the lights and interior dome light so it would drain the computer of any charge at all, let sit for 5 min. Then I idled in N for 4 min, Idled in L for 4 min then took it on average 50 mph hour for an hr round trip... Not quite 50 miles. I am going to look for what others say and I might try your method more precisely. Thanks for the input!

Best, Justin

My pleasure Sir. BTW, I actually disconnected both battery cables when I did mine, not just the Positive as some do. I've also heard about others trying to pull a main fuse (somewhere on the firewall) to reset the computer but, I've been told that won't work for the complete reset.

I did see the video you are referring to but, when I actually found people with the same codes and supposeded vacuum leaks I went with their ideas. I just can't believe that it was a Mercedes AMG website where I first learned the method, afterwards I found the Lexus owner saying the samething. You may also want to make sure you have at least half a tank of gas; I read somewhere that the amount of gas can effect your resetting of codes and the computer as a whole; mine was full, with Premium, when I did my reset. Just so you know, the RX300 owner said he does his reset almost weekly because the cars learn our driving habits and adjust accordingly; I think weekly is overkill but, he is a 4WD off roader and maybe he needs it that often.

Again, good luck Sir.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, cleaning the computer and hauling !Removed!, lasted longer than I thought. I replaced the bank 1 Oxygen and a/f sensors today... Fingers crossed that cures it.

J