Suspension Problems

ppine

I knew when I bought my 2006 430 sc that it was not a car known for a good suspension.   On rough roads the car lurches around and the rear end feels sloppy on the road, moving laterally.   If the wheel alignment is off that would explain the loss of control.   Maybe the struts or shocks are worn at 96k miles.   I have heard of people having this same issue, especially before 2006.  Some report that these cars are difficult to keep in alignment.  Some people suggest coil over shocks to improve the handling. 

Anyone have experience with handling problems and how to fix them?  The car feels stable on smooth roads, but on rough pavement the car is all over the place.  Help. 

WOW. I have been away for awhile. Hey ppine. The SC430 is a heavy car at almost two tons. And as I was just informing another possible future owner,  the suspension wears out on any car and at around 100K miles, you should be thinking about rebuilding it regardless of the make and model of the car. No one ever does that of course due to the expense but you should. The SC has always had a reputation for being a rough ride especially if you are still riding on the run flat tires. Their sidewalls are much stiffer and transmit road conditions right on up through the chassis. You can improve that by switching tires to something more like a touring type tire. But then you need a spare which many of us do not have. It sounds to me like you are ready for a full inspection of your suspension.  Shocks, struts, ball joints, bushings end links. There are definately upgrades for the body roll through corners when being aggressive,  but thats another subject.

Paul 

Thanks Paul.  The car came with Michelin sp3+ tires.   It is a California car that is straight with an interior that is like new. 

It goes, it stops and it turns, but the suspension is worn out.   I am thinking about coil overs.  It will take some money to fix the suspension.  I paid 12k so there should be a little room to get er in shape. 

Well, to be technically correct.  You already have coil overs. And there is no aftermarket for the rear anyway.  But if you do find something, lets us know. There is aftermarket for the fronts. Upgrading the suspension on our SC's is a mix of different parts from different models of Lexus cars like beefier front and rear sway bars, end links and tires. If done wrong or half hazard you can make things worse. If done right  I understand that ripping through the twisties is a blast. Maybe not so much for the passenger though who doesn't have a steering wheel to hold onto. LOL. Good luck in whatever you decide. Come back and let us know. Have a great day.

image.thumb.png.e199d450daafb64c222b4688efada542.png

Paul

Hi Paul.  Got er on  a lift yesterday.  A failed strut in the rear.   The rear alignment marks on the rear wheels are totally different.  New rear struts and rear alignment should make a big difference. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...